Minutes of the code management group meeting 2018-06-19

From UKCA
Jump to: navigation, search

Code management group minutes

Teleconference Details

Tuesday 19th June 2018, 10am - 12noon BST

  • UK Landline: +44 (0)1223 761376 (x61376 from an internal University of Cambridge phone)
  • Participant PIN: 154070

Present

Met Office: John Hemmings (JH), Mohit Dalvi (MD), Alan Hewitt (AJH), Adrian Hill (AH), Fiona O’Connor (FOC)

Cambridge: Luke Abraham (LA), Scott Archer-Nicols (SAN), James Keeble (JK)

Leeds: Mark Richardson (MR), Chris Dearden (CD), Masaru Yoshikoa (MY)

Reading: Nicolas Bellouin (NB)

Lancaster: Michael Hollaway (MH)

Edinburgh:

UEA: Marcus Koeher (MK)

NIWA: Guang Zeng (GZ), Olaf Morgenstern (OM)

CSIRO:

Apologies: Graham Mann (GM), Jane Mulcahy (JM), Kirsty Pringle (KP), Alex Archibald (ATA), Maff Glover (MG)

Actions from this meeting

One-off actions

  1. (ongoing) MY to check GLOMAP-mode code and report any missing bug fixes on the bugfixes page.
  2. (ongoing) LA to liaise with MY.
  3. (ongoing) LA to migrate PUMA UM tickets to MOSRS - see table below.
  4. (ongoing) LA to open tickets for all changes that still require a ticket.
  5. (ongoing) FOC to recommend at next Exec meeting a policy of allowing only CMG to (certify and) distribute any UKCA configurations for science purpose.
  6. (ongoing) MD to collate all UKCA parameters into ukca_constants in advance of removing duplicates already available in the UM and circulate details.
  7. (new) LA to put C_SPECIES definitions in the Redundant Code table (short-term), and switch to use M_SPECIES instead. Talk with JH about AQUM tests and requirements.
  8. (ongoing) AJH to scope out reducing repetition of mode definitions in GLOMAP.
  9. (ongoing) MD/LA to talk about releases offline, and set up free-running and nudged GA7.1+StratTrop TS2000ish timeslice, with instructions to make it transient.
  10. (ongoing) LA to create Wiki page on UKCA website for users to add details of configurations and input files.
  11. (ongoing) ALL to review output from vn11.0 release candidate(s).
  12. (ongoing) MG to progress ticket um:#3909 after doing further tests.
  13. (new) ALL to feedback to AJH by 2nd July regarding UKCA Rose panel changes
  14. (new) FOC to ask Paul Agnew to send AQUM representative to CMG
  15. (new) FOC to circulate doodle poll for further emissions discussion to CMG for all to fill-in. That meeting to report to CMG
  16. (new) MR to discuss with KP implications for GLOMAP.
  17. (new) LA to contact FOC, AH, MK, KP, ATA, Ken Carslaw, Philip Stier regarding taking the proposal for a separate code repository forward.
  18. (new) FOC to see what action can be taken from MASS, then put out an email for POCs from institutes.
  19. (new) LA to do doodle poll for weeks 1-2 of September 2018.

Standing actions

  1. (ongoing - standing item) CMG to monitor list of bugs and circulate between group for owners.
  2. (ongoing - standing item) At CMG future meetings there should be included an appendix listing the open bugs. If a ticket is included it is not an open bug (as the owner of ticket is person doing lodging).
  3. (ongoing - standing item) ALL with access to keep monitoring ukca_bugs email list.
  4. (ongoing - standing item) ALL to think about if code changes will change KGO and let systems team know in good time, and remember to include the UKCA & SC0138 keywords to all UKCA tickets. This should be a standard part of our working practice. Note also the required keywords.
  5. (ongoing - standing item) ALL to note, review, and remove obsolete/redundant code
  6. (ongoing - standing item) ALL closed ticket owners to produce a summary of their change for the UKCA newsletter
  7. (ongoing - standing item) Code Owner to produce draft newsletter for CMG to approve.

Minutes

Actions from the Last Meeting (LA)

Minutes of the code management group meeting 2018-04-17

One-off actions

  1. (new) MY to check GLOMAP-mode code and report any missing bug fixes on the bugfixes page.
    Ongoing
  2. (new) LA to liaise with MY.
    Ongoing
  3. (ongoing) LA to migrate PUMA UM tickets to MOSRS - see table below.
    Ongoing
  4. (ongoing) LA to open tickets for all changes that still require a ticket.
    Ongoing
  5. (ongoing) FOC to recommend at next Exec meeting a policy of allowing only CMG to (certify and) distribute any UKCA configurations for science purpose.
    Ongoing
  6. (new) AJH to look into how to re-organise the UKCA panel and send draft design to CMG by 15th May 2018 - see #3970
    Done - see below
  7. (new) LA to forward email from Systems Team to AJH
    Done
  8. (new) ALL to feedback to AJH ahead of next CMG (by 5th June 2018)
    Done JM to Sci/Tech
  9. (ongoing) MD to collate all UKCA parameters into ukca_constants in advance of removing duplicates already available in the UM and circulate details.
    Ongoing - had to bump ticket. UM Systems Team are moving some constants to SHUMLib, and will need to wait until this is done.
    New Action: LA to put C_SPECIES definitions in the Redundant Code table (short-term), and switch to use M_SPECIES instead. Talk with JH about AQUM tests and requirements.
  10. (ongoing) AJH to scope out reducing repetition of mode definitions in GLOMAP.
    Ongoing. Might have some time soon.
  11. (ongoing) LA and MD to talk offline about releases.
    Done/Ongoing - combine with Action #13 below.
  12. (ongoing) MD to correct column-call rose-stem tests when pressure-level age-of-air diagnostic bugfix is lodged.
    Done
  13. (ongoing) MD/LA to set up free-running and nudged GA7.1+StratTrop TS2000ish timeslice, with instructions to make it transient.
    Ongoing
    New Action: LA to check emissions generation script
  14. (ongoing) LA to create Wiki page on UKCA website for users to add details of configurations and input files.
    Ongoing
  15. (new) FOC to update comments on bug #74 (um:#1283)
    Done
  16. (new) LA to update bugfixes table.
    Done
  17. (new) ALL to review output from vn11.0 release candidate(s).
    Ongoing
  18. (new) JM to discuss vn11.0 with Matt Woodhouse at his upcoming visit to the Met Office.
    Done. Matt will upgrade Dry Deposition changes, targeting vn11.2 with Catherine Hardacre to Sci/Tech
  19. (new) MG to progress ticket um:#3909 after doing further tests.
    Ongoing

Standing actions

  1. (ongoing - standing item) CMG to monitor list of bugs and circulate between group for owners.
  2. (ongoing - standing item) At CMG future meetings there should be included an appendix listing the open bugs. If a ticket is included it is not an open bug (as the owner of ticket is person doing lodging).
  3. (ongoing - standing item) ALL with access to keep monitoring ukca_bugs email list.
  4. (ongoing - standing item) ALL to think about if code changes will change KGO and let systems team know in good time, and remember to include the UKCA & SC0138 keywords to all UKCA tickets. This should be a standard part of our working practice. Note also the required keywords.
  5. (ongoing - standing item) ALL to note, review, and remove obsolete/redundant code
  6. (ongoing - standing item) ALL closed ticket owners to produce a summary of their change for the UKCA newsletter
  7. (ongoing - standing item) Code Owner to produce draft newsletter for CMG to approve.

Bugs/Bugfixes (LA)

Open Bugs

# Description Ticket Owner Status/ Updates Comments from previous meeting Comments from this meeting
35 Error in labelling: Surface resistance <--> stomatal resistance ? MOSRS #1409 Fiona O'Connor Leave open. Garry Hayman started work in offline JULES Leave open
72 UKCA Dry Deposition: Surface resistance values
not set for some species
#1250 AlanJHewitt Lodged #1250 with no KGO
Temporary logical to be removed in #3997
AJH will need to update UKCA rose stem tests
This bug can be closed.
Leave open. Closed. Lodged at vn11.1, follow-on ticket to remove temporary logical (um:#3997)
74 Bug in ukca_tropopause with definition of PV tropopause #1283 Fiona O'Connor FOC to update comments. Scope has been extend. Leave open
75 Bug in STE fluxes #1367 Fiona O'Connor Leave open. Still not sure if ENDGame related or not. Leave open
87 Possible issues with YSTORE in UKCA_CHEMISTRY_CTL. UM#3245 Colin Johnson/
Luke Abraham
leave open. Leave open
94 Data corruption in Age-of-Air (and possibly Passive O3) diagnostic on pressure levels UM#3718 Mohit Dalvi To be lodged at vn11.1. See um:#3718. Closed. Lodged at vn11.1
96 Output drydiam diagnostics where l_ukca_arg_act but not l_ukca_radaer UM#3962 Unknown The beginnings of a solution are found in vn11.0_ukca_drydiam_activate_wo_radaer. AJH to take ownership - may be affected by reorganisation.

Redundant Code (LA)

Code for deletion

PLEASE REMEMBER TO EDIT THE ORIGINAL REDUNDANT CODE TABLE AND NOT THIS PAGE

# Description Ticket Remarks Status Timeframe Owner Comments from this meeting
2 Old dry deposition scheme #2356 None PROPOSED Medium-term Nick Savage
4 ukca_strat_update.F90 - relax_ozone #1505 None PROPOSED Medium-term Luke Abraham
5 Backward Euler Standard Tropospheric Chemistry #1507 None PROPOSED Medium-term Fiona O'Connor
6 Wet oxidation of SO2 in GLOMAP None None PROPOSED Medium-term Colin Johnson
7 Updraft velocity #3668 Proposed in December 2017 PROPOSED Medium-term Alan J Hewitt
8 All backward Euler chemistry schemes None Note that this is only for the “hard-coded” BE schemes. Quite a lot of work would be involved, but good as a longer-term aim. Note that problems for AQUM would need to be addressed first. PROPOSED Long-term Luke Abraham
9 Deprecated UKCA netcdf attribute options #2513 'emission_type', string type attributes no longer recommeneded. Need some time for most new code to adopt these. Still used in AQUM files. DEPRECATED Medium-term Nick Savage AQUM are addressing the files.
10 ASAD families chemistry None Families chemistry has not been used for many years (since at least UM6.1. It is likely that it no longer works if turned on, and it complicates the code making other developments harder DEPRECATED Short-term Luke Abraham
11 Dry deposition 9 PFT option None The 13 PFT option has been adopted for UKESM1.
The 9 PFT option is possibly not being used at all.
Proposed in June 2018.
PROPOSED Long-term Alan J Hewitt

There were questions regarding what GA & AQUM use in terms of numbers of PFTS.

UKCA Release Job (LA/MD)

Job will be GA7.1+StratTrop with nudged equivalent that will be maintained up through UM versions. Branches will be kept only if required for scientific usability. This should target new users in Sep/Oct 2018.

There is an unknown timetable for GA8.

Targets for vn11.2 (and beyond) (LA)

PLEASE REMEMBER TO INCLUDE THE KEYWORDS: UKCA & SC0138

Tickets targeting vn11.2

# Description
#2689 Enable coupling of GLOMAP-MODE Aerosol to FAST-JX photolysis.
#3127 Investigate KGO differences in um_n48_ukca_eg app using GNU on the Cray
#3292 Consolidate constant variables used by UKCA
#3769 Time updating for glomap climatology
#3959 RO2-Permutation Chemistry
#3962 Output dry diameter diagnostic in niche case where l_ukca_arg_act but not l_ukca_radaer
#3970 Tidy the UKCA gui panel
#4001 Magic numbers in ukca_setup_chem_mod.F90
#4020 Improved calculation of ozone dry deposition to ocean - surface resistance term
#4024 Triggering of i_ukca_dms_flux by l_sulpc_so2
#4032 Addition of new diagnostics for the wet and dry deposition flux of oxidised nitrogen

Tickets targeting vn11.3

# Description
#3997 Retire temporary logical l_fix_improve_drydep

UKCA Rose panel (AJH)

Please see um:#3970 and the code branch r54617_BoBoB_tidy_ukca_gui_panel.

A document with screenshots of the panels (configured for GA7+StratTrop) can be found here: Pdficon small.png UKCA_Panel_Proposed.pdf Info circle.png

New Action: ALL to feedback to AJH by 2nd July regarding UKCA Rose panel changes

New Action: FOC to ask Paul Agnew to send AQUM representative to CMG

Source/sector information for UKCA emissions (MD)

Please see: Pdficon small.png Design_UKCA_emiss_sectorwise_v1_4Jun2018.pdf Info circle.png

There was significant discussion regarding this proposal, with differing opinions on all sides.

New Action: FOC to circulate doodle poll for further emissions discussion to CMG for all to fill-in. That meeting to report to CMG

A Separate UKCA Code Repository

Please see Pdficon small.png this document Info circle.png for the UMPB on the 4th June, and the subsequent minutes. The action on LA from the UMPB was:

  • UMPB Action: LA - as a next step, set up a meeting with interested parties in the UM system team to discuss details after the release

New Action: MR to discuss with KP implications for GLOMAP.

FOC hoped to finalise a plan with MD about LFRic coupling, and recognised the strengths of a separate repository using GLOMAP.

There were concerns about long-term management. Licensing, and it was noted that we needed to keep the UM Systems Team on-side. SOCRATES and CASIM are smaller codes and so can be more dictatorial.

It was decided that there should be a Working Party to consider this further, with a discussion between MO, Cambridge, & Leeds with an aim to reach an agreement on how to address questions about this process.

New Action: LA to contact FOC, AH, MK, KP, ATA, Ken Carslaw, Philip Stier regarding taking the proposal for a separate code repository forward.

Deputy Code Owner (LA)

The deputy code owner position is now vacant with the retirement of Colin Johnson. Expressions of Interest from the CMG were sought in the first instance.

AOB/DNM (LA)

High-altitude UKCA (MR)

MR has received a communication regarding setting-up a high-altitude version UM-UKCA version (100km). Who should be contacted for more information?

LA in the first instance.

Monsoon2 usage of MASS by UKCA sub-projects (FOC)

Colin Johnson is current owner, with over 50 users data being archived over the past few years. This has become unmanageable.

FOC will be new Met Office owner, and she would like to have people at each institute to be port-of-call for mass usage. It would be essential to know where each experiment originated, and this process will need to comply with data policy.

New Action: FOC to see what action can be taken from MASS, then put out an email for POCs from institutes.

UKCA Newsletter (AJH)

The lack of a UKCA Newsletter was discussed. This could be a good addition to the vn11.0 release.

Date of next meeting (LA)

New Action: LA to do doodle poll for weeks 1-2 of September 2018.