Minutes of the code management group meeting 2018-04-17

From UKCA
Jump to: navigation, search

Code management group minutes

Teleconference Details

Tuesday 17th April 2018, 10am - 12noon BST

  • UK Landline: +44 (0)1223 761376 (x61376 from an internal University of Cambridge phone)
  • Participant PIN: 686232

Present

Met Office: Mohit Dalvi, Marc Stringer, John Hemmings, Fiona O’Connor, Jane Mulcahy, Alan Hewitt, Maff Glover

Cambridge: Luke Abraham, James Keeble, Scott Archer-Nicolls

Leeds: Mark Richardson, Chris Dearden, Masaru Yoshioka

Reading:

Lancaster:

Edinburgh:

UEA: Marcus Koeher

NIWA: Fraser Dennison

CSIRO: Ashok Luhar

Apologies: Olaf Morgenstern, Nicolas Bellouin, Matt Woodhouse, Oliver Wild, Michael Hollaway, Paul Griffiths, Alex Archibald

Not present:

Actions from this meeting

  1. (new) MY to check GLOMAP-mode code and report any missing bug fixes on the bugfixes page.
  2. (new) LA to liaise with MY.
  3. (ongoing) LA to migrate PUMA UM tickets to MOSRS - see table below.
  4. (ongoing) LA to open tickets for all changes that still require a ticket.
  5. (ongoing) FOC to recommend at next Exec meeting a policy of allowing only CMG to (certify and) distribute any UKCA configurations for science purpose.
  6. (new) AH to look into how to re-organise the UKCA panel and send draft design to CMG by 15th May 2018
  7. (new) LA to forward email from Systems Team to AH
  8. (new) ALL to feedback to AH ahead of next CMG (by 5th June 2018)
  9. (ongoing) MD to collate all UKCA parameters into ukca_constants in advance of removing duplicates already available in the UM and circulate details.
  10. (ongoing) AH to scope out reducing repetition of mode definitions in GLOMAP.
  11. (ongoing) LA and MD to talk offline about releases.
  12. (ongoing) MD to correct column-call rose-stem tests when pressure-level age-of-air diagnostic bugfix is lodged.
  13. (ongoing) MD/LA to set up free-running and nudged GA7.1+StratTrop TS2000ish timeslice, with instructions to make it transient.
  14. (ongoing) LA to create Wiki page on UKCA website for users to add details of configurations and input files.
  15. (new) FOC to update comments on bug #74 (um:#1283)
  16. (new) LA to update bugfixes table.
  17. (new) ALL to review output from vn11.0 release candidate(s).
  18. (new) JM to discuss vn11.0 with Matt Woodhouse at his upcoming visit to the Met Office.
  19. (new) MG to progress ticket um:#3909 after doing further tests.

Standing actions

  1. (ongoing - standing item) CMG to monitor list of bugs and circulate between group for owners.
  2. (ongoing - standing item) At CMG future meetings there should be included an appendix listing the open bugs. If a ticket is included it is not an open bug (as the owner of ticket is person doing lodging).
  3. (ongoing - standing item) ALL with access to keep monitoring ukca_bugs email list.
  4. (ongoing - standing item) ALL to think about if code changes will change KGO and let systems team know in good time, and remember to include the UKCA & SC0138 keywords to all UKCA tickets. This should be a standard part of our working practice. Note also the required keywords.
  5. (ongoing - standing item) ALL to note, review, and remove obsolete/redundant code
  6. (ongoing - standing item) ALL closed ticket owners to produce a summary of their change for the UKCA newsletter
  7. (ongoing - standing item) Code Owner to produce draft newsletter for CMG to approve.

Minutes

Actions from the Last Meeting (LA)

Minutes of the code management group meeting 2018-02-21

One off actions

  1. (ongoing) GM find best person to check 8.4 versus 7.3 (and possibly vn8.4 vs 10.x) GLOMAP-mode code and report any missing bug fixes on the bugfix page.
    Closed. MY to do
    New Action: LA to liaise with MY.
  2. (new) LA to follow-up with GM in 2 weeks time to progress this.
    Closed. Done
  3. (ongoing) LA to migrate PUMA UM tickets to MOSRS - see table below.
    Ongoing
  4. (ongoing) LA to open tickets for all changes that still require a ticket.
    Ongoing
  5. (ongoing) FOC to open ticket + Bugfixes Table entry related to 'Unable to calculate tropopause' warnings, which will also address print statements.
    Closed. Extend scope of um:#1283
  6. (new) FOC to open ticket to add flexibility to use the s30 tropopause.
    Closed. See um:#3951.
  7. (ongoing) FOC to recommend at next Exec meeting a policy of allowing only CMG to (certify and) distribute any UKCA configurations for science purpose.
    Ongoing
  8. (ongoing) LA (& others who are interested) to look into how to re-organise the UKCA panel (e.g. into sub-panels) & think about removal of namelist items.
    AH to take ownership and develop initial design and forward to CMG within 4 weeks.
    New Action: LA to forward email from Systems Team to AH
    New Action: ALL to feedback ahead of next CMG (2-week turnaround)
  9. (ongoing) LA to organise a follow-up meeting of interested parties on the UKCA panel re-organisation.
    Closed. Do at next CMG.
  10. (ongoing) MD to collate all UKCA parameters into ukca_constants in advance of removing duplicates already available in the UM and circulate details.
    In progress in ticket um:#3292. Some settings are moving to SHUMlib (#3802). MD will make all changes at once.
  11. (ongoing) JM to continue discussions with CJ regarding "Wet oxidation of SO2 in GLOMAP" and other issues regarding redundant code. GM to be kept informed.
    Closed. JM has talked about this. This is not most pressing of redundant codes and GLOMAP code will be reviewed by MY.
  12. (ongoing) AH to scope out reducing repetition of mode definitions in GLOMAP.
    Ongoing
  13. (new) FOC to upload workplan.
    Closed. See Pdficon small.png JWCRP Workplan Info circle.png.
  14. (ongoing) LA and MD to talk offline about releases.
    Ongoing. LA/MD to talk within next 2 weeks.
  15. (new) FOC to check with AS about best practice when science changes break KGO.
    Closed.
    AS suggested following GA practice: Whenever a KGO breakage occurs, a developer should establish whether it’s a science change or in the noise. AS suggested short runs with feedbacks turned off to assess the impact. A KGO breakage would mean that the UKESM core-group would be made aware via the standard approval process. AQUM can do fairly quick tests.
  16. (new) MD to correct column-call rose-stem tests when pressure-level age-of-air diagnostic bugfix is lodged.
    Ongoing. See um:#3718.
  17. (new) LA to comment code regarding wet deposition of ozone inconsistencies.
    Closed. LA sent comments to AH.
  18. (new) LA to update open bugs table.
    Closed.
  19. (new) LA to re-jig tables as short-term and long-term plans.
    Closed. See Redundant code.
  20. (new) MD/LA to set up free-running and nudged GA7.1+StratTrop TS2000ish timeslice, with instructions to make it transient.
    Ongoing.
  21. (new) LA to create Wiki page on UKCA website for users to add details of configurations and input files.
    Ongoing.
  22. (new) LA to set up doodle-poll for the 2nd/3rd week of June, avoiding various meetings going on then.
    Closed. Next CMG is Tuesday 19th June 2018 10AM-12noon BST.

Bugs/Bugfixes (LA)

Open Bugs

# Description Ticket Owner Status/ Updates Comments from previous meeting Comments from this meeting
35 Error in labelling: Surface resistance <--> stomatal resistance ? MOSRS #1409 Fiona O'Connor Leave open for planned JULES work. Leave open. Garry Hayman started work in offline JULES
57 Incorrect logic for DMS anciliaries required #756 (MOSRS) Nick Savage Possibly close: JM to check impact.
LA/SAN to contact JM
Close. Also see um:#2814. Edge case.
72 UKCA Dry Deposition: Surface resistance values
not set for some species
#1250 AlanJHewitt leave open
AH investigating best way forward and will speak with JM. Some concern regarding breaking UKESM1 KGO. See action.
AH working on this. Thinks Monoterp flags should be turned off. Now has surface resistance values for all species, although including these will have knock-on effects and there is some some nasty buggy/code. Current target is vn11.1, although will break KGO and a proper assessment will need to be done. Will chase further particulars offline. GF to take a look.
74 Bug in ukca_tropopause with definition of PV tropopause #1283 Fiona O'Connor leave open
Change ownership to FOC. Extend scope for print statements.
FOC to update comments. Scope has been extend.
75 Bug in STE fluxes #1367 Fiona O'Connor leave open. still not sure what is going on
Believed to be ENDGAME related. Will investigate following the release of UKESM1
Leave open. Still not sure if ENDGame related or not.
87 Possible issues with YSTORE in UKCA_CHEMISTRY_CTL. UM#3245 Colin Johnson/
Luke Abraham
leave open
LA to talk to CJ offline.
leave open.
92 UMDP084 incorrectly labels 38-476 ("Liquid cloud fraction") with units "m-3". It is a pure fraction (in the range 0.0 to 1.0) and so has no unit. Alan Hewitt AH to take ownership. Close. AH fixed with um:#3025.
93 Inconsistent surface resistance values for organic hydro-peroxide (rooh) UM#3793 Alan Hewitt AH to take ownership and talk to GF Close. Combine with um:#1250 ([#72]).
94 Data corruption in Age-of-Air (and possibly Passive O3) diagnostic on pressure levels UM#3718 Mohit Dalvi Found to be a halo issue in STASHmaster_A. Hope to close soon. Will also correct column-call rose-stem tests. To be lodged at vn11.1. See um:#3718.

New Action: FOC to update comments on bug #74 (um:#1283)

New Action: LA to update bugfixes table.

Redundant Code (LA)

Code for deletion

# Description Ticket Remarks Status Timeframe Owner Comments from this meeting
2 Old dry deposition scheme #2356 None PROPOSED Medium-term Nick Savage
4 ukca_strat_update.F90 - relax_ozone #1505 None PROPOSED Medium-term Luke Abraham
5 Backward Euler Standard Tropospheric Chemistry #1507 None PROPOSED Medium-term Fiona O'Connor
6 Wet oxidation of SO2 in GLOMAP None None PROPOSED Medium-term Colin Johnson
7 Updraft velocity #3668 Proposed in December 2017 PROPOSED Medium-term Alan J Hewitt
8 All backward Euler chemistry schemes None Note that this is only for the “hard-coded” BE schemes. Quite a lot of work would be involved, but good as a longer-term aim. Note that problems for AQUM would need to be addressed first. PROPOSED Long-term Luke Abraham
9 Deprecated UKCA netcdf attribute options #2513 'emission_type', string type attributes no longer recommeneded. Need some time for most new code to adopt these. Still used in AQUM files. DEPRECATED Medium-term Nick Savage AQUM are addressing the files.

New Action: LA to add families chemistry to the Redundant code table, with a short- or medium-term target (possibly even vn11.2).

UKCA Release Job (LA/MD)

There was some discussion as to which year should be used for a timeslice. It was decided that year 2000 should continue to be used as this matches-up well with current validation tools and observations routinely used. Nudging should only change the SSTs and sea-ice files, as well as associated changes needed for nudging.

Decision: Year 2000 emissions and ancillaries, meaned from 1996-2005.

New Action: ALL to review output.

CSIRO are currently still using vn8.4.

New Action: JM to discuss vn11.0 with Matt Woodhouse at his upcoming visit to the Met Office.

Targets for vn11.1 (and beyond) (LA)

Highlights:

  • CD - um:#3018 ASAD Newton-Raphson solver iteration count.
  • LA - um:#2814 "aeroclim-ukca" for running chemistry without GLOMAP and using aerosol climatologies.

PLEASE REMEMBER TO INCLUDE THE KEYWORDS: UKCA & SC0138

Tickets targeting vn11.1

# Description
#100 PM10 and PM2.5 diagnostics for MODE
#1250 UKCA dry deposition: surface resistance values not set for some species
#2689 Enable coupling of GLOMAP-MODE Aerosol to FAST-JX photolysis.
#2741 Addition of new diagnostic for the dry deposition flux of nitrogen
#2742 Addition of new diagnostic for the wet deposition flux of nitrogen
#2814 Allow UKCA Chemistry to work with aerosol climatologies
#2898 Input CO2 concentrations into UKCA when interactive CO2 is operational
#3018 output UKCA solver iterations.
#3028 Improve STASH section references related to UKCA components.
#3127 Investigate KGO differences in um_n48_ukca_eg app using GNU on the Cray
#3289 Removal of Backward Euler Std tropospheric chemistry
#3290 Removal of old dry deposition scheme using prescribed deposition velocities
#3292 Consolidate constant variables used by UKCA
#3367 Removing transport of peroxy radical tracers in Strattrop (CHeST)
#3718 Fix STASHmaster entry for AGE-OF-AIR ON PRESSURE LEVELS (51-150)
#3726 rose stem testing for Section 54 - Activate
#3767 CALL qsat & CALL qsat_wat_mix without halos in GLOMAP_CLIM
#3769 Time updating for glomap climatology
#3779 Improvements to the inline comments in ukca_option_mod
#3793 Consistant value of rooh for different number of tiles within ukca_surfddr
#3874 Allow climatology aerosol to call ukca_activate without calling ukca_radaer

rose-stem tests (LA)

As noted in um:#3847 the current high jobs have occasional problems. Thanks to MG and Ian Boutle using

-hfp1 -hflex_mp=strict

fixes these issues at the cost of speed (see um:#3909). The next step might be to take some of the fast compiler flags out and test again.

New Action: MG to progress ticket um:#3909 after doing further tests.

UKCA Rose panel (LA)

See actions above.

UKCA Training (LA)

NCAS will fund training for January 2019 under their payment model.

AOB/DNM (LA)

Date of next meeting (LA)

The code review submission deadline for vn11.1 is 1st Jun 2018. This is an open release for most types of code changes.

The next UKCA CMG meeting will be TUESDAY 19TH JUNE 2018 10AM-12NOON BST.