Minutes of the code management group meeting 2017-07-14
Friday 14th July 2017, 10am - 12noon
- UK Freefone: 0800 9171956
- Participant passcode: 51615813 then #
Apologies: Nick Savage, Nicolas Bellouin, Alex Archibald
Actions from the Last Meeting (LA)
- (ongoing) GM to check 8.4 versus 7.3 (and possibly vn8.4 vs 10.x) GLOMAP-mode code and report any missing bug fixes on the bugfix page.
- (ongoing) FOC to incorporate Bug #35 and others into dry deposition work
- (ongoing) LA to migrate PUMA UM tickets to MOSRS
- (ongoing) UM #368 (RAFEPS value). Error not encountered at UM10.x but LA to consult Oliver Wild regarding background and implications.
- (ongoing) LA to check doc for NVOC factor and open ticket to remove it from code
- (ongoing) CJ to lodge STASHmaster changes to diagnostics that should make use of UKCA time availability codes
- (ongoing) CJ,FOC,AH,AS,LA and John H to decide best way forward for implementing GLOMAP-climatology code and documentation.
- (ongoing) JM,BJ,NB to discuss incorporation of Nicolas' RADAER description into UKCA (or separate UMDP). JM to take lead.
- (ongoing) FOC to open ticket + Bugfixes Table entry related to 'Unable to calculate tropopause' warnings
- (updated) MD to setup Strat+Trop suite as soon as GA7.1 is frozen and also add to Rose-stem. MD set-up/replace current Rose stem job with GA7.1 jobs.
- (ongoing) CJ to involve NS in discussions with Dynamics and UM-sys teams regarding movement of UKCA call, for effective implementation of water vapour feedback.
- (ongoing) FOC to recommend at next Exec meeting a policy of allowing only CMG to (certify and) distribute any UKCA configurations for science purpose.
- (new) MD to chase CMS about MASS archiving
- (new) NS to collate all code that could be removed and put on Wiki
- (new) LA to do doodle poll for end of Nov/ start of Dec
- (ongoing - standing item) CMG to monitor list of bugs and circulate between group for owners.
- (ongoing - standing item) At CMG future meetings there should be included an appendix listing the open bugs. If a ticket is included it is not an open bug (as the owner of ticket is person doing lodging).
- (ongoing - standing item) JM to continue to link/send powerpoint results (re: GA7.0/GA7.1), as new configurations released and link/put files on UKCA wiki.
- (ongoing - standing item) ALL with access to keep monitoring ukca_bugs email list.
- (ongoing - standing item) ALL to think about if code changes will change KGO and let systems team know in good time. This should be a standard part of our working practice.
- (ongoing - standing item) ALL to review and remove obsolete code
|Ticket||Description||Owner||Milestone||MOSRS ticket required?||Comments from this meeting|
|#4||increase items per section to 999||nick||No - already done|
|#6||Merging of MODE developments||Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1)|
|#7||Developments to FastJX code||Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1)|
|#8||Stratospheric Chemistry Scheme||luke||Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1)||No - scheme exists in the trunk but is not currently supported. Implementation of StratCFC scheme in #3243 (Hopefully): lukeabraham|
|#9||Tropospheric Chemistry with Isoprene||Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1)||No - scheme exists in the trunk but is not supported. There have been some stability issues reported with this scheme, e.g. to do with
|#10||Chemistry of the Stratosphere and Troposphere (CheST)||ata27||Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1)||No - already done and is current supported scheme|
|#11||Tropospheric Aerosol Chemistry||colin||Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1)|
|#12||Stratospheric Aerosol Chemistry||Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1)||#1572(Hopefully). There has been some interest from NIWA to continue this work.|
|#13||Interface between UKCA and the UM||Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1)|
|#14||Trace Gases and Radiation||Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1)||No - code in trunk sufficient(?)|
|#15||Dry Deposition||Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1)|
|#16||Wet Deposition||merged branch testing (level 3)|
|#17||Organic aerosols||Complete vn7.3 merge (level 2)|
|#18||Modal Dust||merged branch testing (level 3)|
|#19||Tropospheric heterogeneous chemistry.||colin||Complete vn7.3 merge (level 2)|
|#20||Aerosols and Radiation||merged branch at latest release|
|#21||Indirect effects of aerosol||Complete vn7.3 merge (level 2)|
|#22||Flight track diagnostics||Somewhen||#1608 (Hopefully): Marcus Koehler|
|#23||Satellite Diagnostics||merged branch testing (level 3)|
|#24||Code redundency||merged branch testing (level 3)|
|#25||UKCA aerosols for FastJX||merged branch testing (level 3)||#2689 (UM10.9): Michael Holloway|
|#36||Pipework to deliver bVOC emissions from JULES to UKCA||MetUM vn9.1|
|#37||Hard-wiring of land surface tile numbers in UKCA||Somewhen|
|#38||Albedo for FastJ(X)||Somewhen||#442 (Hopefully)|
|#41||Improvements to Emissions handling||MetUM vn8.6||No - already done (netCDF)|
|#42||Slow down of AQUM when 8.2 code lodged||Somewhen|
|#45||Offline oxidants for MODE||MetUM vn9.1||No - already done and is default scheme in GA7/GA7.1|
|#46||Improve convective washout of aerosols||MetUM vn8.6|
|#47||RADAER Part 2||MetUM vn8.6||No - already done(?). RADAERv2 is already on the trunk.|
|#48||Add nitrate aersols to UKCA-GLOMAP-mode||Somewhen||#827(Hopefully):Steve Rumbold|
|#49||Modal Dust in UKCA-GLOMAP-mode||Somewhen||#1497(Hopefully): Stephanie Woodward|
|#50||FASTJX fix to work with new spectral files||Somewhen|
|#54||Clean up UKCA interface - part 2||MetUM vn8.6|
|#60||Logicals/ Condition block mismatch for UKCA StratTrop and Het/PSC||nick||MetUM vn8.6|
|#62||Changes to make UKCA compatible with UM high resolution/LAM configurations||MetUM vn8.6|
|#63||RCP scenario code||MetUM vn8.6||No - already done|
|#64||Fix array indexing/ dimensioning issues in UKCA||MetUM vn8.6|
Redundant Code (LA for NS)
NS has created the following page for review: Redundant code
|#||Description||Ticket||Owner||Status/ Updates||Comments from previous meeting||Comments from this meeting|
|31||FP exceptions in asad_sparse_vars
|#368 (MOSRS)||Nick Savage||leave open. vn10.x seems to be better|
|35||Error in labelling: Surface resistance <--> stomatal resistance ?||MOSRS #1409||Fiona O'Connor||open - folded into DD. FOC to update|
|50||ukca_solve_coagnucl failures||#319 (MOSRS)||Mohit Dalvi/Graham Mann?||Not encountered any more ?||dissapeared at vn10.x|
|57||Incorrect logic for DMS anciliaries required||#756 (MOSRS)||Nick Savage||trivial. Might close as wontfix, but might want to do in RAQ|
|68||HO2 heterogeneous loss rate 1st order(?)||No ticket||Nick Savage||NS to look at that. Leave open to review|
|72||UKCA Dry Deposition: Surface resistance values
not set for some species
|#1250||Alan Hewitt?||discussed above, have way forward|
|74||Bug in ukca_tropopause with definition of PV tropopause||#1283||Steven Hardiman||Change ownership?||discussed above, wrap together issues. Fix is separate from #75|
|75||Bug in STE fluxes||#1367||Fiona O'Connor||could be endgame. Needs further work|
|80||H2O feedback broken under ENDGAME||UM#1646||Colin Johnson||discussed above, keep open|
What is required now to move UKCA recommended jobs up to GA7.1? (CJ)
Highlights from vn10.8 (LA)
- CJ: Water vapour feedback - This includes flux calculations of water production and loss available in stash, as well as a diagnostic which gives the change to q calculated at each timestep. (#1646 & #3123)
- LA: Quasi-Newton steps in Newton-Raphson solver - speeds up the model by ~2-3%. Will not bit-compare with runs without it however. (#2819)
- MR: OpenMP in UKCA_AERO_CTL - alternative method for passing array slices to sub processes, e.g. a(:,:,:,mode) had to be re-written a(1,1,1,mode) for the combination of Linux system SPICE and Intel ifort 12. (#1286 )
- MR: OpenMP in UKCA_AERO_CTL - a bespoke workshare had to be written due to ONE failure in rose stem. The formal method that used the default blocking of data failed. Again Linux and Intel 12. (#1286 )
Targets for vn10.9 (and beyond) (LA)
|Ticket||Summary||Owner||Comments from this meeting|
|#100||PM10 and PM2.5 diagnostics for MODE||johnhemmings|
|#1250||UKCA dry deposition: surface resistance values not set for some species||alanjhewitt|
|#1703||Update appropriate UMDPs with regard UKCA-mode aerosol and interactions||janemulcahy|
|#2086||Time updating for glomap climatology||alanjhewitt|
|#2301||Improve the handling of emissions from explosive volcanoes in UKCA/GLOMAP||--|
|#2382||rose stem app for Section 54||alanjhewitt|
|#2405||Test and implement sea-salt density change||colinjohnson|
|#2532||Review of option codes associated with UKCA burden diagnostics when running with BE solver||fionaoconnor|
|#2587||Adding solar variability to photolysis scheme||fraserdennison|
|#2689||Enable coupling of GLOMAP-MODE Aerosol to FAST-JX photolysis.||michaelhollaway|
|#2741||Addition of new diagnostic for the dry deposition flux of nitrogen||fionaoconnor|
|#2742||Addition of new diagnostic for the wet deposition flux of nitrogen||fionaoconnor|
|#2814||Allow UKCA Chemistry to work with aerosol climatologies||lukeabraham|
|#2898||Input CO2 concentrations into UKCA when interactive CO2 is operational||colinjohnson|
|#3025||Add functionality to use NetCDF GLOMAP-mode climatology fields to generate fields required by ACTIVATE||alanjhewitt|
|#3028||Improve STASH section references related to UKCA components.||mohitdalvi|
|#3127||Investigate KGO differences in um_n48_ukca_eg app using GNU on the Cray||lukeabraham|
|#3209||column-call UKCA Newton-Raphson solver||lukeabraham|
Virtual Machine (LA)
UM Virtual Machine Guide - Note: this will be superseded by UMPB X10 from vn10.8 onwards.