Minutes of the code management group meeting 2017-07-14
Friday 14th July 2017, 10am - 12noon
- UK Freefone: 0800 9171956
- Participant passcode: 51615813 then #
Apologies: Nick Savage, Nicolas Bellouin, Alex Archibald
Actions from the Last Meeting (LA)
- (ongoing) GM to check 8.4 versus 7.3 (and possibly vn8.4 vs 10.x) GLOMAP-mode code and report any missing bug fixes on the bugfix page.
- (ongoing) FOC to incorporate Bug #35 and others into dry deposition work
- (ongoing) LA to migrate PUMA UM tickets to MOSRS
- (ongoing) UM #368 (RAFEPS value). Error not encountered at UM10.x but LA to consult Oliver Wild regarding background and implications.
- (ongoing) LA to check doc for NVOC factor and open ticket to remove it from code
- (ongoing) CJ to lodge STASHmaster changes to diagnostics that should make use of UKCA time availability codes
- (ongoing) CJ,FOC,AH,AS,LA and John H to decide best way forward for implementing GLOMAP-climatology code and documentation.
- (ongoing) JM,BJ,NB to discuss incorporation of Nicolas' RADAER description into UKCA (or separate UMDP). JM to take lead.
- (ongoing) FOC to open ticket + Bugfixes Table entry related to 'Unable to calculate tropopause' warnings
- (updated) MD to setup Strat+Trop suite as soon as GA7.1 is frozen and also add to Rose-stem. MD set-up/replace current Rose stem job with GA7.1 jobs.
- (ongoing) CJ to involve NS in discussions with Dynamics and UM-sys teams regarding movement of UKCA call, for effective implementation of water vapour feedback.
- (ongoing) FOC to recommend at next Exec meeting a policy of allowing only CMG to (certify and) distribute any UKCA configurations for science purpose.
- (new) MD to chase CMS about MASS archiving
- (new) NS to collate all code that could be removed and put on Wiki
- (new) LA to do doodle poll for end of Nov/ start of Dec
- (ongoing - standing item) CMG to monitor list of bugs and circulate between group for owners.
- (ongoing - standing item) At CMG future meetings there should be included an appendix listing the open bugs. If a ticket is included it is not an open bug (as the owner of ticket is person doing lodging).
- (ongoing - standing item) JM to continue to link/send powerpoint results (re: GA7.0/GA7.1), as new configurations released and link/put files on UKCA wiki.
- (ongoing - standing item) ALL with access to keep monitoring ukca_bugs email list.
- (ongoing - standing item) ALL to think about if code changes will change KGO and let systems team know in good time. This should be a standard part of our working practice.
- (ongoing - standing item) ALL to review and remove obsolete code
|#||Description||Ticket||Owner||Status/ Updates||Comments from previous meeting||Comments from this meeting|
|31||FP exceptions in asad_sparse_vars
|#368 (MOSRS)||Nick Savage||leave open. vn10.x seems to be better|
|35||Error in labelling: Surface resistance <--> stomatal resistance ?||MOSRS #1409||Fiona O'Connor||open - folded into DD. FOC to update|
|50||ukca_solve_coagnucl failures||#319 (MOSRS)||Mohit Dalvi/Graham Mann?||Not encountered any more ?||dissapeared at vn10.x|
|57||Incorrect logic for DMS anciliaries required||#756 (MOSRS)||Nick Savage||trivial. Might close as wontfix, but might want to do in RAQ|
|68||HO2 heterogeneous loss rate 1st order(?)||No ticket||Nick Savage||NS to look at that. Leave open to review|
|72||UKCA Dry Deposition: Surface resistance values
not set for some species
|#1250||Alan Hewitt?||discussed above, have way forward|
|74||Bug in ukca_tropopause with definition of PV tropopause||#1283||Steven Hardiman||Change ownership?||discussed above, wrap together issues. Fix is separate from #75|
|75||Bug in STE fluxes||#1367||Fiona O'Connor||could be endgame. Needs further work|
|80||H2O feedback broken under ENDGAME||UM#1646||Colin Johnson||discussed above, keep open|
What is required now to move UKCA recommended jobs up to GA7.1? (CJ)
Highlights from vn10.8 (LA)
- CJ: Water vapour feedback - This includes flux calculations of water production and loss available in stash, as well as a diagnostic which gives the change to q calculated at each timestep. (#1646 & #3123)
- LA: Quasi-Newton steps in Newton-Raphson solver - speeds up the model by ~2-3%. Will not bit-compare with runs without it however. (#2819)
- MR: OpenMP in UKCA_AERO_CTL - alternative method for passing array slices to sub processes, e.g. a(:,:,:,mode) had to be re-written a(1,1,1,mode) for the combination of Linux system SPICE and Intel ifort 12.
- MR: OpenMP in UKCA_AERO_CTL - a bespoke workshare had to be written due to ONE failure in rose stem. The formal method that used the default blocking of data failed. Again Linux and Intel 12.
Targets for vn10.9 (and beyond) (LA)
|100||PM10 and PM2.5 diagnostics for MODE||johnhemmings|
|1250||UKCA dry deposition: surface resistance values not set for some species||alanjhewitt|
|1703||Update appropriate UMDPs with regard UKCA-mode aerosol and interactions||janemulcahy|
|2086||Time updating for glomap climatology||alanjhewitt|
|2301||Improve the handling of emissions from explosive volcanoes in UKCA/GLOMAP||--|
|2382||rose stem app for Section 54||alanjhewitt|
|2405||Test and implement sea-salt density change||colinjohnson|
|2532||Review of option codes associated with UKCA burden diagnostics when running with BE solver||fionaoconnor|
|2587||Adding solar variability to photolysis scheme||fraserdennison|
|2689||Enable coupling of GLOMAP-MODE Aerosol to FAST-JX photolysis.||michaelhollaway|
|2741||Addition of new diagnostic for the dry deposition flux of nitrogen||fionaoconnor|
|2742||Addition of new diagnostic for the wet deposition flux of nitrogen||fionaoconnor|
|2814||Allow UKCA Chemistry to work with aerosol climatologies||lukeabraham|
|2898||Input CO2 concentrations into UKCA when interactive CO2 is operational||colinjohnson|
|3025||Add functionality to use NetCDF GLOMAP-mode climatology fields to generate fields required by ACTIVATE||alanjhewitt|
|3028||Improve STASH section references related to UKCA components.||mohitdalvi|
|3127||Investigate KGO differences in um_n48_ukca_eg app using GNU on the Cray||lukeabraham|
|3209||column-call UKCA Newton-Raphson solver||lukeabraham|
Virtual Machine (LA)
UM Virtual Machine Guide - Note: this will be superseded by UMPB X10 from vn10.8 onwards.