Minutes of the code management group meeting 2016-07-22

From UKCA
Jump to: navigation, search

Code management group minutes


Present

Met Office: Fiona O'Connor (FOC), Nick Savage (NS), Mohit Dalvi (MD), Colin Johnson (CJ), Jane Mulcahy (JM), John Hemmings (JH) ; Cambridge: Alex Archibald (AA), Paul Griffiths (PG) ; Leeds: Mark Richardson (MR)  ; Oxford: Zak Kipling (ZK) Reading: Nicolas Bellouin (NB)

Apologies: Luke Abraham (LA), Graham Mann (GM), Sandip Dhomse (SD), Alan Hewitt (AH)

Actions from this meeting

One off actions

 1. (ongoing) GM to check 8.4 versus 7.3 (and possibly vn8.4 vs 10.x) GLOMAP-mode code and report any missing bug fixes on the bugfix page.
 2. (ongoing) GLOMAP-mode coupling to FJX. AA to see if Paul Griffiths can be asked to do this.
 3. (ongoing) FOC to incorporate Bug #35 and others into dry deposition work 
 4. (ongoing) FOC/LA to find someone to co-ordinate migration of PUMA UM tickets to MOSRS
 5. UM #368 (RAFEPS value). Error not encountered at UM10.x but LA to consult Oliver Wild regarding background and implications.
 6. (ongoing) Bug #38: MD to lodge the switch for controlling addition of SO2 from explosive volcanoes. 
 7. (ongoing) LA to check doc for NVOC factor and open ticket to remove it from code
 8. CJ to lodge STASHmaster changes to diagnostics that should make use of UKCA time availability codes
 9. FOC to supervise work by Joao for UM ticket #987 (Checks in UKCA iBVOC emissions to prevent duplication of online and offline emissions)
 10. (Ongoing)NS to keep Bug #58 (Blocking Mode 3 in FastJX) ticket open but low priority.
 11. NS to update MR on problems encountered due to module-defined variables and OpeNMP in Convection, with possible implications for GLOMAP OpenMP work
 12. CJ,FOC,AH,AS,LA and John H to decide best way forward for implementing GLOMAP-climatology code and documentation.
 13. JM,BJ,NB to discuss incorporation of Nicolas' RADAER description into UKCA (or separate UMDP).
 14. FOC to talk to Paul S. regarding possibility of lodging Mark's basic (hardwired) column-based/ OpenMP approach at UM10.5 and more flexibility in follow-on ticket. NS/Alistair can follow-up.
 15. Bug #72: NS to take a look at Dry deposition/ surface resistance warnings and explore possibility of a quick work-around.
 16. FOC to open ticket + Bugfixes Table entry related to 'Unable to calculate tropopause' warnings
 17. MD to setup Strat+Trop suite as soon as GA7.1 is frozen and also add to Rose-stem. 
 18. FOC,JM, others to evaluate above job and ALL to decide about recommending this as the next UKCA Release job.
 19. JM to enquire with David W. regarding addition of GA7.1 to Rose-stem. 
 20. CJ to involve NS in discussions with Dynamics and UM-sys teams regarding movement of UKCA call, for effective implementation of water vapour feedback.
 21. FOC to recommend at next Exec meeting a policy of allowing only CMG to (certify and) distribute any UKCA configurations for science purpose. 
 22. FOC to set-up Doodle poll for next CMG (possibly for week of 12th September).

Standing actions

  1. (ongoing - standing item) CMG to monitor list of bugs and circulate between group for owners.
  2. (ongoing - standing item) At CMG future meetings there should be included an appendix listing the open bugs. If a ticket is included it is not an open bug (as the owner of ticket is person doing lodging).
  3. (ongoing - standing item) JM to continue to link/send powerpoint results (re: GA7.0), as new configurations released and link/put files on UKCA wiki.
  4. (ongoing - standing item) ALL with access to keep monitoring ukca_bugs email list.
  5. (ongoing - standing item) ALL to think about if code changes will change KGO and let systems team know in good time. This should be a standard part of our working practice.

Teleconference Numbers

  • UK Freefone:0800 9171956
  • Participant passcode: 89264837 then #

Agenda

  1. Agree agenda?
  2. Actions from the last meeting (2016-01-12) including standing items
  3. UMvn10.5 code freeze
  4. Targets for UMvn10.6 code freeze
  5. Rose suites at UMvn10.4/10.5
  6. Progress towards GA7.1
  7. Bugs/bugfixes
  8. Update on GungoHo!/LFRic
  9. AOB/DNM
  10. Date of next meeting


Minutes

Actions from 2016-01-12

  1. GM check 8.4 versus 7.3 GLOMAP-mode code and report any bug fixes the bugfix page. This could now include any vn8.4-vn10.x comparison.Carried forward
  2. GLOMAP-mode coupling to FJX. AA to see if Paul Griffiths can be asked to do this. Carried forward
  3. FOC to incorporate Bug #35 and others into dry deposition work.'Done but keeping issue Open to remind
  4. NS to co-ordinate migration of MetO UM tickets to MOSRS. Done
  5. FOC to find someone to co-ordinate migration of PUMA UM tickets to MOSRS. Carried forward'
  6. NS to continue with lodging ticket #368 quick fix. A proposed fix to the value of RAFEPS allowing just one line to have a scaling factor on a namelist has been developed but NS is concerned about implementing it it due to his lack of understanding the code. Implementation will be pending the next action. Open
  7. LA to contact Oliver Wild regarding NR solver. In particular to ask advice on the use of the increased value of rafeps to prevent model failures. How safe is this, and is there a better solution? Carried forward
  8. FOC to check rafeps branch in recent GA7-type runs. Done
  9. Bug #38: GM to take on lodging this on the trunk. Carried forward Mohit to take over.
  10. LA to check doc for NVOC factor and open ticket to remove it from code. Carried forward
  11. Ben Johnson (BJ) to review OC biomass burning emissions units (#41 in bug table) and if this is now correct, close..Done, corrected for NetCDF emission processing but not changed for 'old' ancil method.
  12. Bug #52: GM to take on lodging this on the trunk. 'Done Tickets by Luke and Mohit
  13. MR to add link to twiki on bugfix page for Bug #53 (RADAER). Done
  14. FOC to follow up with Irina (CRUM) about progress on time availability codes for UKCA chemistry timesteps. Done. Irina has fixed in code, needs implementation in STASHmaster (New action)
  15. FOC to find owner for UM ticket #987 (Checks in UKCA iBVOC emissions to prevent duplication of online and offline emissions). Done Joao will take this forward.
  16. CJ to check status of Bug #53 and update table as appropriate.Done
  17. NS to update table for Bug #57.Done
  18. NS to update table, open ticket and take ownership of Bug #58 (Blocking Mode 3 in FastJX) .Done but low priority.
  19. CJ to follow up and update table for Bug #62. Done
  20. NS to review and update table for Bug #68.'Done but NS,CJ to carry forward.
  21. LA and FOC to resurrect GungHo-UKCA discussions with Mohamed Zerroukat.Done, See update in minutes.
  22. MD to let people know when Rose suites with StratTrop chemistry and based on the frozen GA7 physics are available.Done added to minutes.
  23. LA to follow up with CMS about copying in both LA and MD in all UKCA and nudging tickets raised with them.Done NCAS have been contacting MD
  24. LA to arrange next CMG subject to date of next UKCA Exec.Done by Fiona

Standing items:

  1. (ongoing - standing item) CMG to monitor list of bugs and circulate between group for owners.
  2. (ongoing - standing item) At CMG future meetings there should be included an appendix listing the open bugs. If a ticket is included it is not an open bug (as the owner of ticket is person doing lodging).
  3. (ongoing - standing item) JM to continue to link/send powerpoint results (re: GA7.0), as new configurations released and link/put files on UKCA wiki.
  4. (ongoing - standing item) ALL with access to keep monitoring ukca_bugs email list.
  5. (ongoing - standing item) ALL to think about if code changes will change KGO and let systems team know in good time. This should be a standard part of our working practice.

UMvn10.5 code freeze

Major UKCA changes at this version

  1. Diagnostics for plume scavenging - all diagnostics now available for Aerosol budget calculations.
  2. Section 54 created for GLOMAP-climatological fields + functionality to initialise fields from NetCDF files during Reconf
  3. Fix issues with aerosol surface area for PSC chemistry
  4. STASH Time codes for UKCA now available
  5. Namelist factor for scaling the lightning NOx emissions
  6. Minor optimisation - Cache blocking for aerosols
  7. UKCA ND, EG_OFFLINE apps now removed from Rose-stem tests
  8. Improvements to TKE diagnostic, including fix to level-mismatch
  9. Update UKCA dry deposition to work with new surface tiles
  10. BC refractive index update
  11. UKCA general refactoring/ tidy-up before tracer number increase

Targets for UMvn10.6 code freeze

  1. Fix for plume-scavenging tracer indexing issue
  2. Generation of aerosol as well as chemistry diagnostics for CMIP6
  3. Activating Water vapour feedback from UKCA (involves moving location of UKCA call)
  4. Increase number of UKCA tracers (current branch/ implementation allows upto 255, after which it clashes with LBC 'tendancy' tracers)
  5. UKCA StratTrop NRUN-CRUN bit-reproducibility issue - inputs to solver are being checked first, followed by solver issues themselves
  6. Reduce vertical extent of Dry deposition calculations - will be lodged on a switch and subsequently evaluated for GA/UKESM
  7. Columnar approach/ OpenMP in GLOMAP: Current method hardwired to lat/long decomposition, Optimisation team have asked for more flexibility

GA6/7 UKCA (Strat+Trop) Rose suites at UMvn10.3,4,5

UM version Suite-id Remarks
10.3 u-ac253 Not ported to MONSooN
10.4 u-ac782 (MO), u-ad048(MONSooN),
puma-aa342(MONSooN)
Assessment run -puma-aa342 (data on MASS)
10.5 u-ae771 (MO) Developing

Progress towards GA7.1

Major focus on reconciling ERF due to GLOMAP-aerosols. Tunings carried out to BC/RADAER, cloud scheme, DMS emissions. Fixes to BC and Volc_SO2 emissions. Need to freeze configuration by end of August.

Bugfixes

Open Bugs

# Description Ticket Owner Status/ Updates
31 FP exceptions in asad_sparse_vars
or asad_spimjmp
#368 (MOSRS) Nick Savage
35 Error in labelling: Surface resistance <--> stomatal resistance ? MOSRS #1409 Fiona O'Connor
38 Missing logical for volcanic so2 emissions. MOSRS #1350 Graham Mann Mohit will lodge branch with logical at UM10.5
50 ukca_solve_coagnucl failures #319 (MOSRS) Mohit Dalvi/Graham Mann? Not encountered any more ?
57 Incorrect logic for DMS anciliaries required #756 (MOSRS) Nick Savage
58 Fastj-X runs on patches all in dark #1360 (MOSRS) Nick Savage
68 HO2 heterogeneous loss rate 1st order(?) No ticket Nick Savage
72 UKCA Dry Deposition: Surface resistance values
not set for some species
#1250 Alan Hewitt?
74 Bug in ukca_tropopause with definition of PV tropopause #1283 Steven Hardiman Change ownership?
75 Bug in STE fluxes #1367 Fiona O'Connor
80 H2O feedback broken under ENDGAME UM#1646 Colin Johnson
81 Runs with segment/ restart interval < 5 days
fail due to NetCDF emiss update bug
UM#948 Alistair Sellar/ Mohit Dalvi
83 error in the indexing of the tot_tracer array in the
convective plume scavenging
UM#2036 Nick Savage
84 NetCDF error when using UKCA and Nudging: Model fails with
'EM_GET_VAR_INFO: Time dimension info not found,
check if l_ignore_time = .TRUE.'
UM#2095 Mohit Dalvi

Update on GungHo!/LFRic

Met Office internal secondment advertised and person selected. Work has commenced with an Idealised ENDGame suite and simple tracer tests are being implemented with specified winds. After initial assessment and availability of Gung-Ho based suites, implementation and assessment will be repeated. Status/ Documentation at: http://collab.metoffice.gov.uk/twiki/bin/view/Project/UkcaGungHo

AOB

Based on experience with vn7.3 Nitrate configuration, FOC to recommend to Exec that any new UKCA configuration should only be distributed after specified (e.g. rose-stem) testing, assessment and followed by approval from CMG.

Also, once the GA7.1 configuration with offline oxidants is frozen, both FOC and JM propose that the interactive chemistry is activated and evaluated with a view to making that configuration a formal scientific release of UKCA. Actions noted above.

Date of next meeting