Developing Releases Bugfixes
This page contains a listing of all the bugfixes required for the Developing releases.
Fast-JX dm_3d bug
The calculation of mass in ukca_fastjx.F90 is incorrect. This will affect low-top models more, but will also affect high-top models.
dm_3d(:,:,(model_levels+1)) = pz_3d(:,:,model_levels+1)/g
should be replaced with
dm_3d(:,:,(model_levels+1)) = pz_3d(:,:,model_levels)/g
Please include the following branch in the PUMA UMUI
at revision 13624.
OH+MGLY reaction rate co-efficient bug
1. StratTrop (CheST chemistry) - Met Office
At UMvn8.2, existing branch vn8.2_ukca_update_rate_coeffs now includes bugfix - Revision 41942 without bugfix; Revision 61297 with bugfix
At UMvn8.4, updated rates (without bugfix) are on the trunk. Therefore, the bugfix is in a new branch called vn8.4_ukca_bugfix_strattrop_OHMGLY_rxnrate, revision no 61296.
2. StratTrop (CheST chemistry) - PUMA
At UMvn8.2, existing branch vn8.2_ukca_update_rate_coeffs now includes bugfix - Revision 9984 without bugfix; Revision 13625 with bugfix
At UMvn8.4, updated rates (without bugfix) lodged to the trunk. Therefore, the bugfix is in a new branch called vn8.4_ukca_bugfix_strattrop_OHMGLY_rxnrate, revision no 13627.
3. TropIsop (CheT) - Met Office
At UMvn8.4, existing branch vn8.4_ukca_update_tropisop_rate_coeffs now includes bugfix - Revision 58058 without bugfix; Revision 61298 with bugfix
4. TropIsop (CheT) - PUMA
At UMvn8.4, existing branch vn8.4_ukca_update_tropisop_rate_coeffs now includes bugfix - Revision 13358 without bugfix; Revision 13628 with bugfix
Lightning NOx improvements/fixes
This branch includes improvements to the Lightning emissions calculation (e.g. removing model resolution-dependance) as well as fixing minor a bug found in the flash calculation. The changes were lodged at vn8.3 and hence automatically available in the trunk for UM8.4 configurations.
The branch on PUMA at vn8.2 is : fcm:um_br/dev/foconnor/vn8.2_L-NOx_for_UKCA at revision 11908
The equivalent branch on Met Office FCM is: fcm:um_br/dev/hadfo/vn8.2_L-NOx_for_UKCA at revision 56098
Note: This branch is now found to be incompatible with the vn8.2_ukca_combined_scav branch. This may require the user to create a working copy that merges in both the branches.
Fixes for issues found at vn8.2
The various issues found soon after a major upgrade of UKCA at vn8.2 are part of a combined branch that was lodged subsequently at vn8.3. The bugs/fixes include:
1. Improper construction of filename for Background Aerosol data used for Fast-JX/ HetPSC
2. SO3 missing from UKCA_CSPECIES
3. MODE diagnostics indexing issue
4. Correct the methane initialisation when l_prescribe_ch4 option is selected
5. Logic for Heterogenous reactions under TropIsop Chemistry
6. String length differences in Strat+Trop reaction rate definition array
7. Incorrect Loop control for a Fast-JX routine
8. Remove N2O from lumped N species for Stratospheric Chemistry
9. Fix an initialisation issue that caused consecutive runs to give different results
10. Incorrect read-size for a Fast-JX lookup table
11. Minor write statement formatting issues
12. Minor variable/ array initialisation issues.
The branch on PUMA at vn8.2 is:
fcm:um_br/dev/nhsavage/vn8.2_pkg_ukca_bugfixes at revision 9882
The branch on the Met Office FCM is:
fcm:um_br/pkg/Share/vn8.2_pkg_ukca_bugfixes at revision 44169
Fixes for issues found at vn8.4/5
1. Gravitational settling : A multiplication factor used for sensitivity tests was lodged in error as part of the merge at vn8.2. This only affects GLOMAP. In the routine: src/atmosphere/UKCA/ukca_vgrav_av_k.F90, at the line:
vgrav_av(:)=0.5*pref(:)*(term3+term4*kng(:)) ! reduced by 50 %
remove the 0.5 (and comment). See also: PUMA - fcm:um_br/dev/dan2012/vn8.4_Sedimentation_Fix
2. ACTIVATE- saturation mixing ratio: A bug in the Abdul-Razzak & Ghan droplet activation scheme whereby the saturation mixing ratio is passed through instead of the saturation vapour pressure. This will only affect GLOMAP simulations with Indirect effects ON.
See: PUMA- fcm:um_br/dev/dan2012/vn8.4_Nenes_Activate - revisions 13540 and 13574
3. Bug in TropIsop/ CheT -- Q: Sp. humidity or Q is assumed to be Volume mixing ratio in the chemistry, but is available as a Mass mixing ratio from the UM. In the code sections related to TropIsop/ CheT configurations, the conversion from MMR to VMR is missing. In the routine, src/atmosphere/UKCA/ukca_chemistry_ctl.F90 the line:
zq(:) = RESHAPE(q(:,:,k),(/theta_field_size/))
should be changed to
zq(:) = RESHAPE(q(:,:,k)/c_h2o,(/theta_field_size/))
This conversion takes place implicitly for StratTrop/ CheST configurations during conversion of all tracers (Q is handled as a tracer by UKCA in Stratospheric configurations).
4. Indexing bug for all_tracers array : This may be present in Colin's _combined_scav branches pre-vn8.6 and only affects ENDGAME configurations. In the routine src/atmosphere/UKCA/ukca_main-ukca_main1.F90 at the call to UKCA_EMISSION_CTL, the 2nd all_tracer() argument:
all_tracers(1:row_length,1:rows,:,n_chem_tracers+ & n_aero_tracers+1:n_chem_tracers+n_aero_tracers+ & n_mode_tracers), &
should be changed to
all_tracers(1:row_length,1:rows,1:model_levels, & n_chem_tracers+n_aero_tracers+1:n_chem_tracers+ & n_aero_tracers+n_mode_tracers), &
i.e add 1:model_levels to the array index.
5. Indexing bug for sin_v_latitude : This affects ENDGAME configurations at vn8.5 only. In the routine src/atmosphere/UKCA/ukca_main-ukca_main1.F90, there are two places which use:
ASIN(sin_v_latitude(:,1:n_rows)) these should be changed to: ASIN(sin_v_latitude(:,0:n_rows-1)).
This fix was lodged at UM8.5.
6. Indexing bug for f3_at_u : This affects ENDGAME configurations at vn8.5/8.6 only. In the routine src/atmosphere/UKCA/ukca_main-ukca_main1.F90, all references to f3_at_u should be changed to
In src/atmosphere/UKCA/ukca_fastjx.F90 this change is required at one location, but will also require an additional line in the USE statements list
USE atm_fields_bounds_mod, ONLY:udims
All the above fixes (except 5, already lodged) are available in the branch:
Met Office- fcm:um_br/dev/hadzm/vn8.6_ukca_chem_mode_fixes