- 1 Climate Models used by UKCA
- 2 UKCA: Currently Available Chemistry Schemes
- 3 UKCA Aerosol Scheme: GLOMAP-mode
- 4 Nudging
- 5 UKCA Development Timeline
- 6 UKCA: Model Outline
Climate Models used by UKCA
The UKCA model runs within the Hadley Centre version of the Unified Model. There are a number of different versions of this climate model at a number of resolutions which are used for UKCA development.
|UM Version||Model||Horizontal Resolution||Vertical Levels||Model Top||Scheme Used|
|6.1||HadGAM1a||N48 (2.5°×3.75°)||L60||~84km||Tropospheric Chemistry|
|6.6.4||HadGEM2-ES||N96||L38||~40km||Hadley Centre Earth System Model|
|7.1||HadGEM3-A||N96 (1.25°×1.875°)||L38||~40km||Tropospheric Chemistry|
|7.3||HadGEM3-A r2.0||N96||L38||~40km||Tropospheric Chemistry|
|7.3||HadGEM3-A r2.0||N96||L63||~40km||Tropospheric Chemistry|
|7.3||HadGEM3-A r2.0||N96||L85||85km||Stratospheric Chemistry|
|7.3||HadGEM3-A r2.0||N48||L60||~84km||Stratospheric Chemistry|
|7.3||HadGEM3-AO r2.0||N48||L60||~84km||QUEST Earth System Model|
UKCA: Currently Available Chemistry Schemes
- Standard Tropospheric Chemistry
- Tropospheric Chemistry with Isoprene
- Extended Tropospheric Chemistry (ExtTC)
- Regional Air Quality (RAQ) Chemistry
- Standard Stratospheric Chemistry
- Chemistry of the Stratosphere and Troposphere
UKCA Aerosol Scheme: GLOMAP-mode
- Brief summary of GLOMAP-mode: global size-resolved aerosol microphysics
- GLOMAP-mode in UKCA linked to Tropospheric Chemistry (StdTrop)
- GLOMAP-mode in UKCA linked to Tropospheric Chemistry (IsopTrop)
- GLOMAP-mode in UKCA linked to Stratospheric Chemistry (StratChem)
- GLOMAP-mode in UKCA linked to whole-atmosphere chemistry (CheST)
- Direct effect from GLOMAP-mode aerosol to the Edwards-Slingo radiation scheme
- First indirect effect from GLOMAP-mode aerosol to the Edwards-Slingo radiation scheme
- Description of the nudged version of UKCA: This describes the nudged version of the model which is constrained to meteorological analysis data, allowing hindcasts and comparisons to episodic data-sets.
UKCA Development Timeline
If you are interested in using UKCA, and there is a particular piece of functionality that you would like or need, but are not sure if it is available, please contact Luke Abraham for further information.
- Stratospheric Chemistry at UM7.3 HadGEM3-A (N96L85 and N48L60) - Luke Abraham
- ASAD Flux Diagnostics at UM7.3 - Luke Abraham
- Improved representation of isoprene oxidation at UM6.1 - Alex Archibald
- Chemistry of Stratosphere and Troposphere - CheST at UM7.3 - Alex Archibald
- Flight track emulator to compare to campaign data at UM7.3 - Paul Telford
- Fast-JX photolysis code validation at UM7.3 - Paul Telford
- Emissions Profiling from ExTC at 7.3- Paul Telford & Maria Russo
- Interactive biogenic emissions from ExTC at 7.3- Paul Telford
- HadGEM3-AO UKCA - Luke Abraham
- Satellite emulator, including averaging kernels, to improve validation at UM7.3 - Paul Telford
- Couple mode aerosols and fast-jx code at UM7.3 - Paul Telford and ?
- Shift UKCA emissions from Section 0 (user-defined) to Section 34 - Mohit Dalvi Sec34 emissions
- Extend Weseley scheme dry deposition to match 2D scheme - Paul Telford
- Coupled UKCA Stratosphere-Troposphere Chemistry with MODE
UKCA: Model Outline
Development of UKCA consists of the following subprojects:
Tropospheric model development
- HadGEM3 at N96L63 and HadGEM2-ES at N96L38
- Tropospheric Configuration of UKCA (Fiona M. O’Connor)
Stratospheric model development
- HadGEM3 at N96L85/N48L60
- Coupled stratospheric chemistry
- New aerosol species and microphysics
- Aerosol chemistry
- Integrated Climate Programme report (Mar10) comparing CLASSIC and GLOMAP-mode in HadGEM3 ICP Report M3 .
- Integrated Climate Programme report (Mar11) describing latest UKCA developments for HadGEM3 UKCA ICP March 2011 .
- Scoping document for HadGEM3 recommends including GLOMAP-mode in UKCA for HadGEM3 HadGEM3-ES Scoping document .
- Coupling of GLOMAP-mode aerosol to UM radiation scheme UKCA RADAER .
- UKCA internal report: Comparison of UKCA modal dust scheme against the 6-bin CLASSIC scheme within MetUM UKCAdust .
- Integrated Climate Programme report (Feb12): UKCA merged code ready to form part of version 8.2 of the Unified Model UKCA ICP Feb12 (merged code) .
- MACC Deliverable report (Dec11): Implementation and evaluation of GLOMAP-mode in the IFS MACC Deliverable report D_G-AER1.8 Dec11 .
- MACC-II Deliverable report (May13): Evaluation of aerosol optical depth in IFS-GLOMAP MACC Deliverable report D_AER_62.3 May13 .
Aerosols Cloud Coupling
Aerosol Cloud Coupling: the modal UKCA scheme [Mann et al., 2010] has been coupled by Oxford and the MetOffice to the PC2 cloud scheme [Wilson et al., 2008] via an explicit Köhler theory based activation scheme [Abdul-Razzak & Ghan, 2000].
- Sub-grid scale probability density function for updraft velocities coupled to turbulent kinetic energy
- Coupling to cloud radiative properties (i.e. cloud albedo effects)
- Coupling to precipitation formation scheme (i.e. cloud lifetime effects)
- West et al. (in preparation)
- Coupled chemistry, aerosols and climate model
- Based on new dynamics
- Combined troposphere-stratosphere chemistry
- Improved aerosol microphysics and chemistry
- Capability to interact with surface, radiation and biosphere
- Modular structure