Difference between revisions of "Minutes of the code management group meeting 2019-06-13"

From UKCA
Jump to: navigation, search
(Currently covered under rose-stem)
(Actions from this meeting)
(4 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 10: Line 10:
 
==Present==
 
==Present==
   
'''Met Office:'''
+
'''Met Office:''' JH, MD, MS, AJH
   
'''Cambridge:'''
+
'''Cambridge:''' LA, SAN
   
'''Leeds:'''
+
'''Leeds:''' DG, MR, KP
   
'''Reading:'''
+
'''Reading:'''
   
 
'''Lancaster:'''
 
'''Lancaster:'''
Line 24: Line 24:
 
'''UEA:'''
 
'''UEA:'''
   
'''NIWA:'''
+
'''NIWA:''' OM
   
'''CSIRO:'''
+
'''CSIRO:''' AL
   
 
'''Apologies:''' FOC, JMK, AA, AH, CD
 
'''Apologies:''' FOC, JMK, AA, AH, CD
   
 
==Actions from this meeting ==
 
==Actions from this meeting ==
  +
  +
# (ongoing) LA to put <code>C_SPECIES</code> definitions in the ''Redundant Code'' table (short-term), and switch to use <code>M_SPECIES</code> instead. Talk with JH about AQUM tests and requirements. Note that there will be problems with exoplanets and >100km top configs where M_air not constant. LA to make a branch and progress for vn11.6.
  +
# (ongoing) LA check MD's script for perpetual nudging.
  +
# (ongoing) LA to create Wiki page on UKCA website for users to add details of configurations and input files.
  +
# (nw) LA to add ''All Pages'' link on UKCA Wiki
  +
# (ongoing) LA to discuss with Leeds plans for a separate repository.
  +
# (ongoing) FOC to see what action can be taken from MASS, then put out an email for POCs from institutes. FOC/AH/MD to develop a strategy on MASS for discussion at next CMG as a data clear-out is required.
  +
# (ongoing) JM to find someone to progress ticket/bugfix for SO2 deposition. Will need to be on a switch for UKESM1
  +
# (ongoing) LA to contact AS/AJH and ask how best to proceed with removing the depreciated NetCDF attribute options.
  +
# (ongoing) FOC to encourage Garry Hayman to start lodging JULES code piecemeal.
  +
# (ongoing) '''ALL''' to read API document and look through new API code and send comments to JH
  +
# (ongoing) LA to send priorities list to UKCA SMG
  +
## UKCA API
  +
## Review UKCA tests to cover all requirements
  +
## Fix for <tt>c_h2o</tt> in Offline-Oxidants (bug #107)
  +
## Updates/fixes to GLOMAP routines
  +
## Standalone UKCA configurations
  +
## Emissions flexibility
  +
## Separare UKCA repository
  +
## ACTIVATE optimisation
  +
## FastJX-GLOMAP coupling
  +
## Cloud-J
  +
## Fixes for chemistry rates and ASAD (bugs #101 & #103)
  +
## Rc fixes for water (bug #104)
  +
## CH4 deposition fixes (bug #109)
  +
## UKCA STASHmaster PP-codes
  +
## Removal of redundant code
  +
## GLOMAP-CLIM API refresh
  +
## N48L85 configuration
  +
# (new) Those with access check ukca_bugs regularly via OWA until Outlook access is fixed.
  +
# (new) LA to take ownership of bug #107
  +
# (new) LA to contact MH/OW regarding FastJX-GLOMAP coupling
  +
# (new) MD to update um_ukca_eg app to be more in line with UKESM1, and add a rigorous test
  +
# (new) LA to add N48 Linux and update EXP test
  +
# (new) '''ALL''' to consider other rose-stem tests that could be included
  +
# (new) LA to check-in with Rich Gilham after the Code Freeze
  +
# (new) '''ALL''' to email LA with suggestions for next set of tutorials
  +
# (new) LA to send Doodle poll for early September.
  +
#* https://doodle.com/poll/fn88usa3pb97xbuz
  +
  +
==== Standing actions ====
  +
  +
# (ongoing - standing item) '''CMG''' to monitor list of bugs and circulate between group for owners.
  +
# (ongoing - standing item) At '''CMG''' future meetings there should be included an appendix listing the open bugs. If a ticket is included it is not an open bug (as the owner of ticket is person doing lodging).
  +
# (ongoing - standing item) '''ALL''' with access to keep monitoring ukca_bugs email list.
  +
# (ongoing - standing item) '''ALL''' to think about if code changes will change KGO and let systems team know in good time, and remember to include the UKCA & SC0138 keywords to all UKCA tickets. This should be a standard part of our working practice. ''Note'' also the required keywords.
  +
# (ongoing - standing item) '''ALL''' to note, review, and remove obsolete/redundant code'''
  +
# (ongoing - standing item) '''ALL''' closed ticket owners to produce a summary of their change for the UKCA newsletter for special occasions, e.g. to coincide with Composition-Climate Meeting.
  +
# (ongoing - standing item) '''Code Owner''' to produce draft newsletter for '''CMG''' to approve.
   
 
== Minutes ==
 
== Minutes ==
Line 39: Line 88:
   
 
# (ongoing) LA to migrate PUMA UM tickets to MOSRS - see [[Minutes_of_the_code_management_group_meeting_2017-07-14#UKCA_Tickets_from_PUMA_UKCA_trac_pages_.28LA.29|table below]].
 
# (ongoing) LA to migrate PUMA UM tickets to MOSRS - see [[Minutes_of_the_code_management_group_meeting_2017-07-14#UKCA_Tickets_from_PUMA_UKCA_trac_pages_.28LA.29|table below]].
# (ongoing) LA to open tickets for all changes that still require a ticket.
 
  +
#* '''closed'''
  +
# (ongoing) LA to open tickets for all changes that still require a ticket.
  +
#* Done. '''closed'''
 
# (ongoing) MD to collate all UKCA parameters into <code>ukca_constants</code> in advance of removing duplicates already available in the UM and circulate details and progress for vn11.4
 
# (ongoing) MD to collate all UKCA parameters into <code>ukca_constants</code> in advance of removing duplicates already available in the UM and circulate details and progress for vn11.4
  +
#* Lodged. '''closed'''
 
# (ongoing) LA to put <code>C_SPECIES</code> definitions in the ''Redundant Code'' table (short-term), and switch to use <code>M_SPECIES</code> instead. Talk with JH about AQUM tests and requirements. Note that there will be problems with exoplanets and >100km top configs where M_air not constant. LA to make a branch and progress for vn11.4.
 
# (ongoing) LA to put <code>C_SPECIES</code> definitions in the ''Redundant Code'' table (short-term), and switch to use <code>M_SPECIES</code> instead. Talk with JH about AQUM tests and requirements. Note that there will be problems with exoplanets and >100km top configs where M_air not constant. LA to make a branch and progress for vn11.4.
# (ongoing) NLA/MD make script for perpetual nudging (symbolic linking to existing files).
 
  +
#* Ongoing
  +
# (ongoing) NLA/MD make script for perpetual nudging (symbolic linking to existing files).
  +
#* LA to check MD's script
 
# (ongoing) LA to create Wiki page on UKCA website for users to add details of configurations and input files.
 
# (ongoing) LA to create Wiki page on UKCA website for users to add details of configurations and input files.
  +
#* Ongoing. Wiki being refreshed.
  +
#* '''ACTION:''' LA to add ''All Pages'' link.
 
# (new) LA to discuss with Leeds plans for a separate repository.
 
# (new) LA to discuss with Leeds plans for a separate repository.
  +
#* LA to arrange ASAP
 
# (ongoing) FOC to see what action can be taken from MASS, then put out an email for POCs from institutes. FOC/AH/MD to develop a strategy on MASS for discussion at next CMG as a data clear-out is required.
 
# (ongoing) FOC to see what action can be taken from MASS, then put out an email for POCs from institutes. FOC/AH/MD to develop a strategy on MASS for discussion at next CMG as a data clear-out is required.
  +
#* Ongoing. Ownership has been passed for some.
 
# (ongoing) CH working on ticket/bugfix for SO2 deposition. Will need to be on a switch for UKESM
 
# (ongoing) CH working on ticket/bugfix for SO2 deposition. Will need to be on a switch for UKESM
  +
#* JM to find someone for this as discussed last meeting.
 
# (ongoing) LA to contact AS/AJH and ask how best to proceed with removing the depreciated NetCDF attribute options.
 
# (ongoing) LA to contact AS/AJH and ask how best to proceed with removing the depreciated NetCDF attribute options.
  +
#* Ongoing
 
# (new) FOC to encourage Garry Hayman to start lodging JULES code piecemeal.
 
# (new) FOC to encourage Garry Hayman to start lodging JULES code piecemeal.
  +
#* Seems to be making progress. Ongoing
 
# (new) LA to progress bug #87 on a switch.
 
# (new) LA to progress bug #87 on a switch.
  +
#* Lodged. '''closed'''
 
# (new) JM to find someone to progress bug #104.
 
# (new) JM to find someone to progress bug #104.
  +
#* Duplicate
  +
#* '''closed'''
 
# (new) '''ALL''' to read API document and send comments to JH.
 
# (new) '''ALL''' to read API document and send comments to JH.
  +
#* Ongoing
 
# (new) AH to talk to UM Systems Team.
 
# (new) AH to talk to UM Systems Team.
  +
#* '''closed'''
 
# (new) LA to email UKCA vn11.4 developers regarding potential vn11.5 UKCA release and ask for feedback.
 
# (new) LA to email UKCA vn11.4 developers regarding potential vn11.5 UKCA release and ask for feedback.
  +
#* '''closed'''
 
# (new) '''ALL''' to send any comments regarding proposed emissions changes to FOC within next 3 weeks before work will start.
 
# (new) '''ALL''' to send any comments regarding proposed emissions changes to FOC within next 3 weeks before work will start.
  +
#* '''closed'''
 
# (new) JM to approach SW regarding model dust
 
# (new) JM to approach SW regarding model dust
  +
#* '''closed'''
 
# (new) FOC to approach AJ regarding stratospheric aerosol updates
 
# (new) FOC to approach AJ regarding stratospheric aerosol updates
  +
#* '''closed'''
 
# (new) LA to email GM and ask how GLOMAP would differ from how it is in other models (e.g. CTM, IFS etc.)
 
# (new) LA to email GM and ask how GLOMAP would differ from how it is in other models (e.g. CTM, IFS etc.)
  +
#* '''closed'''
 
# (new) LA to send list to UKCA SMG
 
# (new) LA to send list to UKCA SMG
  +
#* Ongoing - send updated list from this meeting.
 
## UKCA API
 
## UKCA API
 
## Review UKCA tests to cover all requirements
 
## Review UKCA tests to cover all requirements
Line 77: Line 149:
 
# (new) LA to circulate details of rose-stem ticket
 
# (new) LA to circulate details of rose-stem ticket
 
#* [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/4397 um:#4397]
 
#* [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/4397 um:#4397]
  +
#* '''closed'''
 
# (new) LA to send round Doodle poll for first 2 weeks of June.
 
# (new) LA to send round Doodle poll for first 2 weeks of June.
 
#* https://doodle.com/poll/if4qm4ar5aq5z5t3
 
#* https://doodle.com/poll/if4qm4ar5aq5z5t3
  +
#* '''closed'''
 
# (new) AJH and MD to chase up issues with ukca_bugs mailing list.
 
# (new) AJH and MD to chase up issues with ukca_bugs mailing list.
  +
#* AJH added, but email isn't functional. Only available via browser.
  +
#* '''ACTION''' those with access check ukca_bugs regularly via OWA until fixed. Ongoing.
   
 
==== Standing actions ====
 
==== Standing actions ====
Line 88: Line 164:
 
# (ongoing - standing item) '''ALL''' to think about if code changes will change KGO and let systems team know in good time, and remember to include the UKCA & SC0138 keywords to all UKCA tickets. This should be a standard part of our working practice. ''Note'' also the required keywords.
 
# (ongoing - standing item) '''ALL''' to think about if code changes will change KGO and let systems team know in good time, and remember to include the UKCA & SC0138 keywords to all UKCA tickets. This should be a standard part of our working practice. ''Note'' also the required keywords.
 
# (ongoing - standing item) '''ALL''' to note, review, and remove obsolete/redundant code'''
 
# (ongoing - standing item) '''ALL''' to note, review, and remove obsolete/redundant code'''
# (ongoing - standing item) '''ALL''' closed ticket owners to produce a summary of their change for the UKCA newsletter
+
# (ongoing - standing item) '''ALL''' closed ticket owners to produce a summary of their change for the UKCA newsletter for special occasions, e.g. to coincide with Composition-Climate Meeting.
 
# (ongoing - standing item) '''Code Owner''' to produce draft newsletter for '''CMG''' to approve.
 
# (ongoing - standing item) '''Code Owner''' to produce draft newsletter for '''CMG''' to approve.
   
Line 104: Line 180:
 
| 35 || Error in labelling: Surface resistance <--> stomatal resistance ? || [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/1409 UM:#1409] || '''Fiona O'Connor''' || Leave open. Garry Hayman started work in offline JULES. <br/> Still ongoing. JM found bug in SO2 deposition, where there is an inconsistency when changing tiles. Making progress. <br/> Leave open. GH gave update, has done a lot of work. Concerned it might not be bit-reproducable, but could be solvable. Encouraging to lodge existing. Resistances done as metadata. Not clear as to timescales.<br/> FOC to encourage Garry Hayman to start lodging JULES code piecemeal. ||
 
| 35 || Error in labelling: Surface resistance <--> stomatal resistance ? || [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/1409 UM:#1409] || '''Fiona O'Connor''' || Leave open. Garry Hayman started work in offline JULES. <br/> Still ongoing. JM found bug in SO2 deposition, where there is an inconsistency when changing tiles. Making progress. <br/> Leave open. GH gave update, has done a lot of work. Concerned it might not be bit-reproducable, but could be solvable. Encouraging to lodge existing. Resistances done as metadata. Not clear as to timescales.<br/> FOC to encourage Garry Hayman to start lodging JULES code piecemeal. ||
 
|-
 
|-
| 101 || Errors in reaction rates and diagnostics || [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/4466 UM:#4466] || '''Luke Abraham / Scott Archer-Nicolls''' || There is a need to conserve science config for UKESM1, so changes need to be on a flag.<br/>Colin has been looking at DMSO, as this is not currently used in StratTrop but is in Offline.<br/>Might be able to merge the rate with CEJ changes, but best to leave the diagnostic issues as a separate change. <br/> LA, JM, CEJ, SAN to discuss offline and keep GM in loop.<br/>Use versioning system. Talk about further offline. <br/> Keep ongoing. ||
+
| 101 || Errors in reaction rates and diagnostics || [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/4466 UM:#4466] || '''Luke Abraham / Scott Archer-Nicolls''' || There is a need to conserve science config for UKESM1, so changes need to be on a flag.<br/>Colin has been looking at DMSO, as this is not currently used in StratTrop but is in Offline.<br/>Might be able to merge the rate with CEJ changes, but best to leave the diagnostic issues as a separate change. <br/> LA, JM, CEJ, SAN to discuss offline and keep GM in loop.<br/>Use versioning system. Talk about further offline. <br/> Keep ongoing. || LA to do with #103
 
|-
 
|-
| 103 || Incorrect indexing of tmprc array: ASAD_SPIMPMJP || [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/4562 UM:#4562] || '''Scott Archer-Nicolls''' || Breaks KGO - affects solver convergence. In practice doesn’t make a huge difference, but should go into vn11.4, but does change KGO. UKESM1 - small change might be OK - get in touch for advice - might be able to test with UKESM1 AMIP only. Check with Oliver Wild <br/> Could be rolled-up with #101 ||
+
| 103 || Incorrect indexing of tmprc array: ASAD_SPIMPMJP || [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/4562 UM:#4562] || '''Scott Archer-Nicolls''' || Breaks KGO - affects solver convergence. In practice doesn’t make a huge difference, but should go into vn11.4, but does change KGO. UKESM1 - small change might be OK - get in touch for advice - might be able to test with UKESM1 AMIP only. Check with Oliver Wild <br/> Could be rolled-up with #101 || LA to do with #101
 
|-
 
|-
 
| 104 || Incorrect value for Rc for SO_2 deposition to open water || [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/4635 UM:#4635] || '''Catherine Hardacre''' || Got to be separate to #35, unless there is an idea of timelines.<br/> JM to find someone to progress bug #104. ||
 
| 104 || Incorrect value for Rc for SO_2 deposition to open water || [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/4635 UM:#4635] || '''Catherine Hardacre''' || Got to be separate to #35, unless there is an idea of timelines.<br/> JM to find someone to progress bug #104. ||
 
|-
 
|-
| 107 || Missing c_h2o conversion factor in offline_oxidants_be || [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/4714 um:#4714] || || Code is <code>zq(:)=RESHAPE(q(:,:,k),(/theta_field_size/))</code> rather than <code>zq(:) = RESHAPE(q(:,:,k),(/theta_field_size/))/c_h2o</code> ||
+
| 107 || Missing c_h2o conversion factor in offline_oxidants_be || [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/4714 um:#4714] || || Code is <code>zq(:)=RESHAPE(q(:,:,k),(/theta_field_size/))</code> rather than <code>zq(:) = RESHAPE(q(:,:,k),(/theta_field_size/))/c_h2o</code> || '''ACTION:''' LA to take ownership and assess
 
|-
 
|-
| 108 || Incorrect stash processing of GLOMAP ''load*, conc* and plume_scav'' diagnostics || [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/4909 UM:#4909] || '''Mohit Dalvi''' || To be Lodged after 10.6 ||
+
| 108 || Incorrect stash processing of GLOMAP ''load*, conc* and plume_scav'' diagnostics || [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/4909 UM:#4909] || '''Mohit Dalvi''' || To be Lodged after 10.6 || Do CMIP6 runs are finished (after Jan 2020)
 
|-
 
|-
| 109 || Bug in dry deposition of CH4 for 13/17/27 tiles || [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/4913 UM:#4913] || '''Gerd Folberth''' || To be Lodged after 10.6 <br/> Gerd noted unusual CH4 output in CMIP6 runs. <br/> May need a rose stem test for H2 and CH4 drdydep code lodged at [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/4157 UM:#4157] ||
+
| 109 || Bug in dry deposition of CH4 for 13/17/27 tiles || [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/4913 UM:#4913] || '''Gerd Folberth''' || To be Lodged after 10.6 <br/> Gerd noted unusual CH4 output in CMIP6 runs. <br/> May need a rose stem test for H2 and CH4 drdydep code lodged at [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/4157 UM:#4157] || Makes a huge difference to CH4. Needs testing. AJH or GF will do during vn11.4, progress for vn11.6. May need UKESM1 approval.
 
|-
 
|-
 
|}
 
|}
Line 165: Line 241:
 
| 18 || Remove temporary logical l_fix_neg_pvol_wat <br/> Introduced at [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/4383 UM:#4383] || [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/4416 UM:#4416] || Approval being sought for GA series (likely GA9) <br/> [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/gmed/ticket/421 GMED:#421] || '''PROPOSED''' || Medium-term || Alan J Hewitt || ||
 
| 18 || Remove temporary logical l_fix_neg_pvol_wat <br/> Introduced at [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/4383 UM:#4383] || [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/4416 UM:#4416] || Approval being sought for GA series (likely GA9) <br/> [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/gmed/ticket/421 GMED:#421] || '''PROPOSED''' || Medium-term || Alan J Hewitt || ||
 
|-
 
|-
| 20 || Remove MODULEs/SUBROUTINEs/FUNCTIONs <br/> within UKCA not called within the UM: <br/> <br/> MODULE asad_emissn_mod and SUBROUTINE asad_emissn <br/> MODULE asad_inemit_mod and SUBROUTINE asad_inemit || [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/4827 UM:#4827] || Requires removing additional redundant emission code from ukca_chem_master.F90 [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/log/main/branches/dev/alanjhewitt/vn11.3_remove_asad_emissn_mod vn11.3_remove_asad_emissn_mod] || '''DEPRECATED''' || Short-term || Alan J Hewitt || ||
+
| 20 || Remove MODULEs/SUBROUTINEs/FUNCTIONs <br/> within UKCA not called within the UM: <br/> <br/> MODULE asad_emissn_mod and SUBROUTINE asad_emissn <br/> MODULE asad_inemit_mod and SUBROUTINE asad_inemit || [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/4827 UM:#4827] || Requires removing additional redundant emission code from ukca_chem_master.F90 [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/log/main/branches/dev/alanjhewitt/vn11.3_remove_asad_emissn_mod vn11.3_remove_asad_emissn_mod] || '''DEPRECATED''' || Short-term || Alan J Hewitt || || Should be finished for vn11.4
 
|-
 
|-
| 21 || Remove code behind L_use_stratclim from ukca_fastjx_mod <br/> Introduced prior to MOSRS || [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/4875 UM:#4875] || This could either be properly included via a namelist or removed from the UM || '''PROPOSED''' || Medium-term || Alan J Hewitt || ||
+
| 21 || Remove code behind L_use_stratclim from ukca_fastjx_mod <br/> Introduced prior to MOSRS || [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/4875 UM:#4875] || This could either be properly included via a namelist or removed from the UM || '''PROPOSED''' || Medium-term || Alan J Hewitt || || '''ACTION:''' LA contact OW about progressing FastJX-RADAER work
 
|-
 
|-
 
| 22 || Remove temporary logical l_fix_ukca_input_meoh_emiss <br/> Introduced at [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/3031 UM:#3031] || [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/4848 UM:#4848] || Approval being sought for GA series (likely GA9) <br/> [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/gmed/ticket/461 GMED:#461] || '''PROPOSED''' || Medium-term || Mohit Dalvi || ||
 
| 22 || Remove temporary logical l_fix_ukca_input_meoh_emiss <br/> Introduced at [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/3031 UM:#3031] || [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/4848 UM:#4848] || Approval being sought for GA series (likely GA9) <br/> [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/gmed/ticket/461 GMED:#461] || '''PROPOSED''' || Medium-term || Mohit Dalvi || ||
Line 190: Line 266:
 
* More Linux jobs, e.g. StratTrop N48
 
* More Linux jobs, e.g. StratTrop N48
 
* Different GLOMAP configurations(?)
 
* Different GLOMAP configurations(?)
  +
  +
JH: Will need standalone for API changes. More test for new things would be helpful for this.
  +
  +
'''ACTION:''' MD to update um_ukca_eg app to be more in line with UKESM1, and rigorous
  +
  +
'''ACTION:''' LA to add N48 Linux and update EXP test
  +
  +
'''ACTION:''' '''ALL''' to consider other rose-stem tests that could be included
   
 
==== Currently covered under <tt>rose-stem</tt> ====
 
==== Currently covered under <tt>rose-stem</tt> ====
Line 224: Line 308:
   
 
Previously this was necessary for all external UKCA changes (Cambridge, Leeds, Oxford), and was generally included on changes made by the Met Office as well. Recognition has moved to using the <tt>collab:site</tt> framework. Should ''SC0138'' still be used, and if so, by whom?
 
Previously this was necessary for all external UKCA changes (Cambridge, Leeds, Oxford), and was generally included on changes made by the Met Office as well. Recognition has moved to using the <tt>collab:site</tt> framework. Should ''SC0138'' still be used, and if so, by whom?
  +
  +
'''ACTION:''' LA to check-in with Rich Gilham after the Code Freeze.
   
 
=== Update on UKCA API redesign ===
 
=== Update on UKCA API redesign ===
Line 229: Line 315:
 
JH has been working on redesigning the UM-UKCA interface to remove the model specific coupling. His proposed design document can be found here:
 
JH has been working on redesigning the UM-UKCA interface to remove the model specific coupling. His proposed design document can be found here:
 
* {{pdf|UKCA_API_design_proposal_v4.pdf|UKCA API design proposal}}
 
* {{pdf|UKCA_API_design_proposal_v4.pdf|UKCA API design proposal}}
  +
  +
JH: have one in for vn11.4, more major changes for next release cycle. Ask JH for HoT advice. Now looking at D1 driving fields. Then JH & MD will work on other changes for vn11.5
  +
  +
'''ACTION:''' '''ALL''' to email LA with suggestions for next set of tutorials.
   
 
=== Priorities for the next year ===
 
=== Priorities for the next year ===
Line 250: Line 340:
 
# UKCA STASHmaster PP-codes
 
# UKCA STASHmaster PP-codes
 
# Removal of redundant code
 
# Removal of redundant code
  +
  +
OM: could there be an N48L85 configuration
  +
  +
MS: working on a hybrid N96-N48 UKESM1 version. Trying to make N48L85 standalone
  +
  +
OM: Use of Cloud-J (~around FJX-RADAER work)
  +
  +
AJH: will need to something similar to UKCA API work for GLOMAP-CLIM (near end)
  +
  +
==== Priorities List (updated) ====
  +
  +
# UKCA API
  +
# Review UKCA tests to cover all requirements
  +
# Fix for <tt>c_h2o</tt> in Offline-Oxidants (bug #107)
  +
# Updates/fixes to GLOMAP routines
  +
# Standalone UKCA configurations
  +
# Emissions flexibility
  +
# Separare UKCA repository
  +
# ACTIVATE optimisation
  +
# FastJX-GLOMAP coupling
  +
# Cloud-J
  +
# Fixes for chemistry rates and ASAD (bugs #101 & #103)
  +
# Rc fixes for water (bug #104)
  +
# CH4 deposition fixes (bug #109)
  +
# UKCA STASHmaster PP-codes
  +
# Removal of redundant code
  +
# GLOMAP-CLIM API refresh
  +
# N48L85 configuration
   
 
=== UM11.4 Tickets ===
 
=== UM11.4 Tickets ===
Line 260: Line 378:
   
 
=== AOB/DNM (LA) ===
 
=== AOB/DNM (LA) ===
  +
  +
MR: Chris Dearden is leaving CMAC and going to the Hartree centre. Job advert coming out soon.
  +
  +
''The CMG thanked Chris for all his great work on UKCA.''
   
 
=== Date of next meeting (LA) ===
 
=== Date of next meeting (LA) ===
  +
  +
'''ACTION:''' LA to send Doodle poll for early September.
  +
  +
* https://doodle.com/poll/fn88usa3pb97xbuz

Revision as of 17:00, 14 June 2019

Code management group minutes

Teleconference Details

Thursday 13th June 2019, 10am - 11.30am GMT

  • UK Landline: +44 (0)1223 761376 (x61376 from an internal University of Cambridge phone)
  • Participant PIN: 223841

Present

Met Office: JH, MD, MS, AJH

Cambridge: LA, SAN

Leeds: DG, MR, KP

Reading:

Lancaster:

Edinburgh:

UEA:

NIWA: OM

CSIRO: AL

Apologies: FOC, JMK, AA, AH, CD

Actions from this meeting

  1. (ongoing) LA to put C_SPECIES definitions in the Redundant Code table (short-term), and switch to use M_SPECIES instead. Talk with JH about AQUM tests and requirements. Note that there will be problems with exoplanets and >100km top configs where M_air not constant. LA to make a branch and progress for vn11.6.
  2. (ongoing) LA check MD's script for perpetual nudging.
  3. (ongoing) LA to create Wiki page on UKCA website for users to add details of configurations and input files.
  4. (nw) LA to add All Pages link on UKCA Wiki
  5. (ongoing) LA to discuss with Leeds plans for a separate repository.
  6. (ongoing) FOC to see what action can be taken from MASS, then put out an email for POCs from institutes. FOC/AH/MD to develop a strategy on MASS for discussion at next CMG as a data clear-out is required.
  7. (ongoing) JM to find someone to progress ticket/bugfix for SO2 deposition. Will need to be on a switch for UKESM1
  8. (ongoing) LA to contact AS/AJH and ask how best to proceed with removing the depreciated NetCDF attribute options.
  9. (ongoing) FOC to encourage Garry Hayman to start lodging JULES code piecemeal.
  10. (ongoing) ALL to read API document and look through new API code and send comments to JH
  11. (ongoing) LA to send priorities list to UKCA SMG
    1. UKCA API
    2. Review UKCA tests to cover all requirements
    3. Fix for c_h2o in Offline-Oxidants (bug #107)
    4. Updates/fixes to GLOMAP routines
    5. Standalone UKCA configurations
    6. Emissions flexibility
    7. Separare UKCA repository
    8. ACTIVATE optimisation
    9. FastJX-GLOMAP coupling
    10. Cloud-J
    11. Fixes for chemistry rates and ASAD (bugs #101 & #103)
    12. Rc fixes for water (bug #104)
    13. CH4 deposition fixes (bug #109)
    14. UKCA STASHmaster PP-codes
    15. Removal of redundant code
    16. GLOMAP-CLIM API refresh
    17. N48L85 configuration
  12. (new) Those with access check ukca_bugs regularly via OWA until Outlook access is fixed.
  13. (new) LA to take ownership of bug #107
  14. (new) LA to contact MH/OW regarding FastJX-GLOMAP coupling
  15. (new) MD to update um_ukca_eg app to be more in line with UKESM1, and add a rigorous test
  16. (new) LA to add N48 Linux and update EXP test
  17. (new) ALL to consider other rose-stem tests that could be included
  18. (new) LA to check-in with Rich Gilham after the Code Freeze
  19. (new) ALL to email LA with suggestions for next set of tutorials
  20. (new) LA to send Doodle poll for early September.

Standing actions

  1. (ongoing - standing item) CMG to monitor list of bugs and circulate between group for owners.
  2. (ongoing - standing item) At CMG future meetings there should be included an appendix listing the open bugs. If a ticket is included it is not an open bug (as the owner of ticket is person doing lodging).
  3. (ongoing - standing item) ALL with access to keep monitoring ukca_bugs email list.
  4. (ongoing - standing item) ALL to think about if code changes will change KGO and let systems team know in good time, and remember to include the UKCA & SC0138 keywords to all UKCA tickets. This should be a standard part of our working practice. Note also the required keywords.
  5. (ongoing - standing item) ALL to note, review, and remove obsolete/redundant code
  6. (ongoing - standing item) ALL closed ticket owners to produce a summary of their change for the UKCA newsletter for special occasions, e.g. to coincide with Composition-Climate Meeting.
  7. (ongoing - standing item) Code Owner to produce draft newsletter for CMG to approve.

Minutes

Actions from the Last Meeting (LA)

Minutes of the code management group meeting 2019-04-01

  1. (ongoing) LA to migrate PUMA UM tickets to MOSRS - see table below.
    • closed
  2. (ongoing) LA to open tickets for all changes that still require a ticket.
    • Done. closed
  3. (ongoing) MD to collate all UKCA parameters into ukca_constants in advance of removing duplicates already available in the UM and circulate details and progress for vn11.4
    • Lodged. closed
  4. (ongoing) LA to put C_SPECIES definitions in the Redundant Code table (short-term), and switch to use M_SPECIES instead. Talk with JH about AQUM tests and requirements. Note that there will be problems with exoplanets and >100km top configs where M_air not constant. LA to make a branch and progress for vn11.4.
    • Ongoing
  5. (ongoing) NLA/MD make script for perpetual nudging (symbolic linking to existing files).
    • LA to check MD's script
  6. (ongoing) LA to create Wiki page on UKCA website for users to add details of configurations and input files.
    • Ongoing. Wiki being refreshed.
    • ACTION: LA to add All Pages link.
  7. (new) LA to discuss with Leeds plans for a separate repository.
    • LA to arrange ASAP
  8. (ongoing) FOC to see what action can be taken from MASS, then put out an email for POCs from institutes. FOC/AH/MD to develop a strategy on MASS for discussion at next CMG as a data clear-out is required.
    • Ongoing. Ownership has been passed for some.
  9. (ongoing) CH working on ticket/bugfix for SO2 deposition. Will need to be on a switch for UKESM
    • JM to find someone for this as discussed last meeting.
  10. (ongoing) LA to contact AS/AJH and ask how best to proceed with removing the depreciated NetCDF attribute options.
    • Ongoing
  11. (new) FOC to encourage Garry Hayman to start lodging JULES code piecemeal.
    • Seems to be making progress. Ongoing
  12. (new) LA to progress bug #87 on a switch.
    • Lodged. closed
  13. (new) JM to find someone to progress bug #104.
    • Duplicate
    • closed
  14. (new) ALL to read API document and send comments to JH.
    • Ongoing
  15. (new) AH to talk to UM Systems Team.
    • closed
  16. (new) LA to email UKCA vn11.4 developers regarding potential vn11.5 UKCA release and ask for feedback.
    • closed
  17. (new) ALL to send any comments regarding proposed emissions changes to FOC within next 3 weeks before work will start.
    • closed
  18. (new) JM to approach SW regarding model dust
    • closed
  19. (new) FOC to approach AJ regarding stratospheric aerosol updates
    • closed
  20. (new) LA to email GM and ask how GLOMAP would differ from how it is in other models (e.g. CTM, IFS etc.)
    • closed
  21. (new) LA to send list to UKCA SMG
    • Ongoing - send updated list from this meeting.
    1. UKCA API
    2. Review UKCA tests to cover all requirements
    3. Bug #87 (YSTORE/H2SO4)
    4. Updates/fixes to GLOMAP routines
    5. Standalone UKCA configurations
    6. Emissions flexibility
    7. Separare UKCA repository
    8. Chunking of chemistry solver
    9. ACTIVATE optimisation
    10. FastJX-GLOMAP coupling
    11. NaNs found with new schemes turned on (bug #106)
    12. CSIRO dry-deposition work
    13. Fixes for chemistry rates and ASAD (bugs #101 & #103)
    14. Rc fixes for water (bug #104)
    15. UKCA STASHmaster PP-codes
    16. Removal of redundant code
  22. (new) LA to circulate details of rose-stem ticket
  23. (new) LA to send round Doodle poll for first 2 weeks of June.
  24. (new) AJH and MD to chase up issues with ukca_bugs mailing list.
    • AJH added, but email isn't functional. Only available via browser.
    • ACTION those with access check ukca_bugs regularly via OWA until fixed. Ongoing.

Standing actions

  1. (ongoing - standing item) CMG to monitor list of bugs and circulate between group for owners.
  2. (ongoing - standing item) At CMG future meetings there should be included an appendix listing the open bugs. If a ticket is included it is not an open bug (as the owner of ticket is person doing lodging).
  3. (ongoing - standing item) ALL with access to keep monitoring ukca_bugs email list.
  4. (ongoing - standing item) ALL to think about if code changes will change KGO and let systems team know in good time, and remember to include the UKCA & SC0138 keywords to all UKCA tickets. This should be a standard part of our working practice. Note also the required keywords.
  5. (ongoing - standing item) ALL to note, review, and remove obsolete/redundant code
  6. (ongoing - standing item) ALL closed ticket owners to produce a summary of their change for the UKCA newsletter for special occasions, e.g. to coincide with Composition-Climate Meeting.
  7. (ongoing - standing item) Code Owner to produce draft newsletter for CMG to approve.

Bugs/Bugfixes (LA)

Open Bugs

# Description Ticket Owner Comments Comments from this meeting
35 Error in labelling: Surface resistance <--> stomatal resistance ? UM:#1409 Fiona O'Connor Leave open. Garry Hayman started work in offline JULES.
Still ongoing. JM found bug in SO2 deposition, where there is an inconsistency when changing tiles. Making progress.
Leave open. GH gave update, has done a lot of work. Concerned it might not be bit-reproducable, but could be solvable. Encouraging to lodge existing. Resistances done as metadata. Not clear as to timescales.
FOC to encourage Garry Hayman to start lodging JULES code piecemeal.
101 Errors in reaction rates and diagnostics UM:#4466 Luke Abraham / Scott Archer-Nicolls There is a need to conserve science config for UKESM1, so changes need to be on a flag.
Colin has been looking at DMSO, as this is not currently used in StratTrop but is in Offline.
Might be able to merge the rate with CEJ changes, but best to leave the diagnostic issues as a separate change.
LA, JM, CEJ, SAN to discuss offline and keep GM in loop.
Use versioning system. Talk about further offline.
Keep ongoing.
LA to do with #103
103 Incorrect indexing of tmprc array: ASAD_SPIMPMJP UM:#4562 Scott Archer-Nicolls Breaks KGO - affects solver convergence. In practice doesn’t make a huge difference, but should go into vn11.4, but does change KGO. UKESM1 - small change might be OK - get in touch for advice - might be able to test with UKESM1 AMIP only. Check with Oliver Wild
Could be rolled-up with #101
LA to do with #101
104 Incorrect value for Rc for SO_2 deposition to open water UM:#4635 Catherine Hardacre Got to be separate to #35, unless there is an idea of timelines.
JM to find someone to progress bug #104.
107 Missing c_h2o conversion factor in offline_oxidants_be um:#4714 Code is zq(:)=RESHAPE(q(:,:,k),(/theta_field_size/)) rather than zq(:) = RESHAPE(q(:,:,k),(/theta_field_size/))/c_h2o ACTION: LA to take ownership and assess
108 Incorrect stash processing of GLOMAP load*, conc* and plume_scav diagnostics UM:#4909 Mohit Dalvi To be Lodged after 10.6 Do CMIP6 runs are finished (after Jan 2020)
109 Bug in dry deposition of CH4 for 13/17/27 tiles UM:#4913 Gerd Folberth To be Lodged after 10.6
Gerd noted unusual CH4 output in CMIP6 runs.
May need a rose stem test for H2 and CH4 drdydep code lodged at UM:#4157
Makes a huge difference to CH4. Needs testing. AJH or GF will do during vn11.4, progress for vn11.6. May need UKESM1 approval.

Redundant Code (LA)

Code for deletion

PLEASE REMEMBER TO EDIT THE ORIGINAL REDUNDANT CODE TABLE AND NOT THIS PAGE

# Description Ticket Remarks Status Timeframe Owner Comments from previous meetings Comments from this meeting
2 Old dry deposition scheme UM:#2356 None PROPOSED Medium-term Nick Savage
4 ukca_strat_update.F90 - relax_ozone UM:#1505 None PROPOSED Medium-term Luke Abraham
5 Backward Euler Standard Tropospheric Chemistry UM:#1507 None PROPOSED Medium-term Fiona O'Connor
6 Wet oxidation of SO2 in GLOMAP UM:#4475 None PROPOSED Medium-term Colin Johnson JM to look at this re: UKESM1 c.f. offline GLOMAP. JM to take ownership.
7 Updraft velocity - l_conv_tke UM:#3668 Proposed in December 2017. Approval being sought for GA series (likely GA8). PROPOSED Medium-term Alan J Hewitt / Ian Boutle
8 All backward Euler chemistry schemes None Note that this is only for the “hard-coded” BE schemes. Quite a lot of work would be involved, but good as a longer-term aim. Note that problems for AQUM would need to be addressed first. PROPOSED Long-term Luke Abraham
9 Deprecated UKCA netcdf attribute options UM:#2513 'emission_type', string type attributes no longer recommeneded. Need some time for most new code to adopt these. Still used in AQUM files. DEPRECATED Medium-term Nick Savage AQUM are addressing the files. Have gone from operational jobs, have ticket to remove from rose-stem. LN to document. These have been removed from AQUM.
AQUM work has been done.
10 ASAD families chemistry None Families chemistry has not been used for many years (since at least UM6.1. It is likely that it no longer works if turned on, and it complicates the code making other developments harder DEPRECATED Short-term Luke Abraham
11 Dry deposition 9 PFT option None The 13 PFT option has been adopted for UKESM1.
The 9 PFT option is possibly not being used at all.
Proposed in June 2018.
PROPOSED Long-term Alan J Hewitt
12 Remove explicit C_SPECIES constants and calculate these from M_SPECIES and the mass of air None Will have wide-ranging rose-stem KGO breakages PROPOSED Short-term Luke Abraham
13 Remove temporary logical l_fix_nacl_density
Introduced at UM:#2405
UM:#3490 Requires AMIP testing and a GMED ticket
Could be accepted to GA9
PROPOSED Medium-term Jane Mulcahy See JM GMED action
15 Remove temporary logical l_fix_ukca_impscav
Introduced at UM:#1421
UM:#4145 Approval being sought for GA series (likely GA9)
GMED:#402
PROPOSED Medium-term Alan J Hewitt See JM GMED action
16 Remove temporary logical l_fix_improve_drydep
Introduced at UM:#1250
UM:#3997 Approval being sought for GA series (likely GA9)
GMED:#393
PROPOSED Medium-term Alan J Hewitt See JM GMED action
17 Remove temporary logical l_fix_ukca_h2dd_x
Introduced at UM:#4157
UM:#4245 Approval being sought for GA series (likely GA9)
GMED:#410
PROPOSED Medium-term Alan J Hewitt See JM GMED action
18 Remove temporary logical l_fix_neg_pvol_wat
Introduced at UM:#4383
UM:#4416 Approval being sought for GA series (likely GA9)
GMED:#421
PROPOSED Medium-term Alan J Hewitt
20 Remove MODULEs/SUBROUTINEs/FUNCTIONs
within UKCA not called within the UM:

MODULE asad_emissn_mod and SUBROUTINE asad_emissn
MODULE asad_inemit_mod and SUBROUTINE asad_inemit
UM:#4827 Requires removing additional redundant emission code from ukca_chem_master.F90 vn11.3_remove_asad_emissn_mod DEPRECATED Short-term Alan J Hewitt Should be finished for vn11.4
21 Remove code behind L_use_stratclim from ukca_fastjx_mod
Introduced prior to MOSRS
UM:#4875 This could either be properly included via a namelist or removed from the UM PROPOSED Medium-term Alan J Hewitt ACTION: LA contact OW about progressing FastJX-RADAER work
22 Remove temporary logical l_fix_ukca_input_meoh_emiss
Introduced at UM:#3031
UM:#4848 Approval being sought for GA series (likely GA9)
GMED:#461
PROPOSED Medium-term Mohit Dalvi

Rose-stem tests

Is our current rose-stem testing sufficient?

There are several code developments or configurations that do not have a rose-stem test:

  • UKCA API changes
  • Glomap_clim Jones and nwbins (AJH)
  • Senior/Junior configuration
  • Cache-blocking (could be included in ukca-exp)
  • options in surfddr with e.g 17 tiles
  • INFERNO emissions (planned to go into ukca-exp)
  • Oceanic O3 dry-deposition scheme
  • New Science Fixes (e.g. NVOC-MeOH fix, YSTORE fix etc.)
  • CCE rigorous (comp_check) for StratTrop + GLOMAP
  • More Linux jobs, e.g. StratTrop N48
  • Different GLOMAP configurations(?)

JH: Will need standalone for API changes. More test for new things would be helpful for this.

ACTION: MD to update um_ukca_eg app to be more in line with UKESM1, and rigorous

ACTION: LA to add N48 Linux and update EXP test

ACTION: ALL to consider other rose-stem tests that could be included

Currently covered under rose-stem

  • Most jobs are XC40 and use CCE, although there are some Linux jobs that use Intel.
  • Several configurations tested also include thread, proc, and/or NRUN-CRUN tests.
  • Several jobs also use high as well as safe, and a smaller number use comp_check (rigorous)

Configurations tested:

  1. GA7/GA-exp Offline-Oxidants (BE) + GLOMAP (inc. Linux, inc. rigorous)
  2. GA7/GA-exp Offline-Oxidants (NR) + GLOMAP
  3. AQUM (inc. Linux, inc. rigorous)
  4. AQUM + GLOMAP (inc. Linux, inc. rigorous)
  5. AQUM w/ Incremental Analysis Scheme (IAU)
  6. UKESM1
  7. N96 GA7 StratTrop + GLOMAP (lat-lon call and column call)
  8. N96 GA7 StratTrop + GLOMAP Nudged (no feedbacks)
  9. N96 GA7 StratTrop + AeroClim (no feedbacks)
  10. N48L38 GA7 StratTrop + GLOMAP (GNU only, inc. rigorous, also available on VM)
  11. N96 GA7 StratTrop + GLOMAP (UKCA-exp) using:
    • RO2 changes
    • solar cycle in photolysis
    • new top-boundary conditions
    • improved stratospheric heterogeneous chemistry
    • tropospheric heterogeneous chemistry
    • age of air reset by height
    • NAT-PSC limitation
    • Some UKCA-related science fixes
  12. N96 GA7 CRI-Strat + GLOMAP (in code review for vn11.4)
  13. GLOMAP-CLIM (inc. Linux, inc. rigorous)

SC0138 keyword

Previously this was necessary for all external UKCA changes (Cambridge, Leeds, Oxford), and was generally included on changes made by the Met Office as well. Recognition has moved to using the collab:site framework. Should SC0138 still be used, and if so, by whom?

ACTION: LA to check-in with Rich Gilham after the Code Freeze.

Update on UKCA API redesign

JH has been working on redesigning the UM-UKCA interface to remove the model specific coupling. His proposed design document can be found here:

JH: have one in for vn11.4, more major changes for next release cycle. Ask JH for HoT advice. Now looking at D1 driving fields. Then JH & MD will work on other changes for vn11.5

ACTION: ALL to email LA with suggestions for next set of tutorials.

Priorities for the next year

Following the first meeting of the UKCA Science and Management Group on 2019-03-22 at the Met Office, this group has been asked to supply a list of priorities for the next year. The list below was agreed at the last meeting:

  1. UKCA API
  2. Review UKCA tests to cover all requirements
  3. Bug #87 (YSTORE/H2SO4)
  4. Updates/fixes to GLOMAP routines
  5. Standalone UKCA configurations
  6. Emissions flexibility
  7. Separare UKCA repository
  8. Chunking of chemistry solver
  9. ACTIVATE optimisation
  10. FastJX-GLOMAP coupling
  11. NaNs found with new schemes turned on (bug #106)
  12. CSIRO dry-deposition work
  13. Fixes for chemistry rates and ASAD (bugs #101 & #103)
  14. Rc fixes for water (bug #104)
  15. UKCA STASHmaster PP-codes
  16. Removal of redundant code

OM: could there be an N48L85 configuration

MS: working on a hybrid N96-N48 UKESM1 version. Trying to make N48L85 standalone

OM: Use of Cloud-J (~around FJX-RADAER work)

AJH: will need to something similar to UKCA API work for GLOMAP-CLIM (near end)

Priorities List (updated)

  1. UKCA API
  2. Review UKCA tests to cover all requirements
  3. Fix for c_h2o in Offline-Oxidants (bug #107)
  4. Updates/fixes to GLOMAP routines
  5. Standalone UKCA configurations
  6. Emissions flexibility
  7. Separare UKCA repository
  8. ACTIVATE optimisation
  9. FastJX-GLOMAP coupling
  10. Cloud-J
  11. Fixes for chemistry rates and ASAD (bugs #101 & #103)
  12. Rc fixes for water (bug #104)
  13. CH4 deposition fixes (bug #109)
  14. UKCA STASHmaster PP-codes
  15. Removal of redundant code
  16. GLOMAP-CLIM API refresh
  17. N48L85 configuration

UM11.4 Tickets

See here for UM vn11.4 tickets on MOSRS

PLEASE REMEMBER TO USE THE UKCA KEYWORD FOR ALL UKCA CHANGES

UM vn11.5 is a CLOSED RELEASE for UKCA changes (except for API changes).

AOB/DNM (LA)

MR: Chris Dearden is leaving CMAC and going to the Hartree centre. Job advert coming out soon.

The CMG thanked Chris for all his great work on UKCA.

Date of next meeting (LA)

ACTION: LA to send Doodle poll for early September.