Difference between revisions of "Minutes of the code management group meeting 2019-06-13"

From UKCA
Jump to: navigation, search
(Present)
(Currently covered under rose-stem)
(6 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 28: Line 28:
 
'''CSIRO:'''
 
'''CSIRO:'''
   
'''Apologies:''' FOC, JMK
+
'''Apologies:''' FOC, JMK, AA, AH, CD
   
 
==Actions from this meeting ==
 
==Actions from this meeting ==
Line 186: Line 186:
 
* INFERNO emissions (planned to go into <tt>ukca-exp</tt>)
 
* INFERNO emissions (planned to go into <tt>ukca-exp</tt>)
 
* Oceanic O3 dry-deposition scheme
 
* Oceanic O3 dry-deposition scheme
* New Science Fixes (e.g. NVOC-MeOH fix)
+
* New Science Fixes (e.g. NVOC-MeOH fix, YSTORE fix etc.)
 
* CCE rigorous (<tt>comp_check</tt>) for StratTrop + GLOMAP
 
* CCE rigorous (<tt>comp_check</tt>) for StratTrop + GLOMAP
 
* More Linux jobs, e.g. StratTrop N48
 
* More Linux jobs, e.g. StratTrop N48
* Different GLOMAP configurations (e.g. modal dust)
+
* Different GLOMAP configurations(?)
   
 
==== Currently covered under <tt>rose-stem</tt> ====
 
==== Currently covered under <tt>rose-stem</tt> ====
   
 
* Most jobs are XC40 and use CCE, although there are some Linux jobs that use Intel.
 
* Most jobs are XC40 and use CCE, although there are some Linux jobs that use Intel.
* Several jobs also include <tt>thread</tt>, <tt>proc</tt>, and/or <tt>NRUN-CRUN</tt> tests.
+
* Several configurations tested also include <tt>thread</tt>, <tt>proc</tt>, and/or <tt>NRUN-CRUN</tt> tests.
 
* Several jobs also use <tt>high</tt> as well as <tt>safe</tt>, and a smaller number use <tt>comp_check</tt> (rigorous)
 
* Several jobs also use <tt>high</tt> as well as <tt>safe</tt>, and a smaller number use <tt>comp_check</tt> (rigorous)
   
'''Available jobs:'''
+
'''Configurations tested:'''
   
 
# GA7/GA-exp Offline-Oxidants (BE) + GLOMAP (inc. Linux, inc. rigorous)
 
# GA7/GA-exp Offline-Oxidants (BE) + GLOMAP (inc. Linux, inc. rigorous)
Line 208: Line 208:
 
# N96 GA7 StratTrop + GLOMAP Nudged (no feedbacks)
 
# N96 GA7 StratTrop + GLOMAP Nudged (no feedbacks)
 
# N96 GA7 StratTrop + AeroClim (no feedbacks)
 
# N96 GA7 StratTrop + AeroClim (no feedbacks)
# N48 GA7 StratTrop + GLOMAP (GNU only, inc. rigorous, also available on VM)
+
# N48L38 GA7 StratTrop + GLOMAP (GNU only, inc. rigorous, also available on VM)
# N96 GA7 StratTrop + GLOMAP using:
+
# N96 GA7 StratTrop + GLOMAP (''UKCA-exp'') using:
 
#* RO2 changes
 
#* RO2 changes
 
#* solar cycle in photolysis
 
#* solar cycle in photolysis
 
#* new top-boundary conditions
 
#* new top-boundary conditions
#* improve stratospheric heterogeneous chemistry
+
#* improved stratospheric heterogeneous chemistry
 
#* tropospheric heterogeneous chemistry
 
#* tropospheric heterogeneous chemistry
 
#* age of air reset by height
 
#* age of air reset by height
 
#* NAT-PSC limitation
 
#* NAT-PSC limitation
#* UKCA-related science fixes
+
#* ''Some'' UKCA-related science fixes
# N96 GA7 CRI-Strat + GLOMAP (planned for vn11.4)
+
# N96 GA7 CRI-Strat + GLOMAP (in code review for vn11.4)
 
# GLOMAP-CLIM (inc. Linux, inc. rigorous)
 
# GLOMAP-CLIM (inc. Linux, inc. rigorous)
   
Line 256: Line 256:
   
 
'''PLEASE REMEMBER TO USE THE <tt>UKCA</tt> KEYWORD FOR ALL UKCA CHANGES'''
 
'''PLEASE REMEMBER TO USE THE <tt>UKCA</tt> KEYWORD FOR ALL UKCA CHANGES'''
  +
  +
'''UM vn11.5 is a CLOSED RELEASE for UKCA changes''' (except for API changes).
   
 
=== AOB/DNM (LA) ===
 
=== AOB/DNM (LA) ===

Revision as of 09:05, 13 June 2019

Code management group minutes

Teleconference Details

Thursday 13th June 2019, 10am - 11.30am GMT

  • UK Landline: +44 (0)1223 761376 (x61376 from an internal University of Cambridge phone)
  • Participant PIN: 223841

Present

Met Office:

Cambridge:

Leeds:

Reading:

Lancaster:

Edinburgh:

UEA:

NIWA:

CSIRO:

Apologies: FOC, JMK, AA, AH, CD

Actions from this meeting

Minutes

Actions from the Last Meeting (LA)

Minutes of the code management group meeting 2019-04-01

  1. (ongoing) LA to migrate PUMA UM tickets to MOSRS - see table below.
  2. (ongoing) LA to open tickets for all changes that still require a ticket.
  3. (ongoing) MD to collate all UKCA parameters into ukca_constants in advance of removing duplicates already available in the UM and circulate details and progress for vn11.4
  4. (ongoing) LA to put C_SPECIES definitions in the Redundant Code table (short-term), and switch to use M_SPECIES instead. Talk with JH about AQUM tests and requirements. Note that there will be problems with exoplanets and >100km top configs where M_air not constant. LA to make a branch and progress for vn11.4.
  5. (ongoing) NLA/MD make script for perpetual nudging (symbolic linking to existing files).
  6. (ongoing) LA to create Wiki page on UKCA website for users to add details of configurations and input files.
  7. (new) LA to discuss with Leeds plans for a separate repository.
  8. (ongoing) FOC to see what action can be taken from MASS, then put out an email for POCs from institutes. FOC/AH/MD to develop a strategy on MASS for discussion at next CMG as a data clear-out is required.
  9. (ongoing) CH working on ticket/bugfix for SO2 deposition. Will need to be on a switch for UKESM
  10. (ongoing) LA to contact AS/AJH and ask how best to proceed with removing the depreciated NetCDF attribute options.
  11. (new) FOC to encourage Garry Hayman to start lodging JULES code piecemeal.
  12. (new) LA to progress bug #87 on a switch.
  13. (new) JM to find someone to progress bug #104.
  14. (new) ALL to read API document and send comments to JH.
  15. (new) AH to talk to UM Systems Team.
  16. (new) LA to email UKCA vn11.4 developers regarding potential vn11.5 UKCA release and ask for feedback.
  17. (new) ALL to send any comments regarding proposed emissions changes to FOC within next 3 weeks before work will start.
  18. (new) JM to approach SW regarding model dust
  19. (new) FOC to approach AJ regarding stratospheric aerosol updates
  20. (new) LA to email GM and ask how GLOMAP would differ from how it is in other models (e.g. CTM, IFS etc.)
  21. (new) LA to send list to UKCA SMG
    1. UKCA API
    2. Review UKCA tests to cover all requirements
    3. Bug #87 (YSTORE/H2SO4)
    4. Updates/fixes to GLOMAP routines
    5. Standalone UKCA configurations
    6. Emissions flexibility
    7. Separare UKCA repository
    8. Chunking of chemistry solver
    9. ACTIVATE optimisation
    10. FastJX-GLOMAP coupling
    11. NaNs found with new schemes turned on (bug #106)
    12. CSIRO dry-deposition work
    13. Fixes for chemistry rates and ASAD (bugs #101 & #103)
    14. Rc fixes for water (bug #104)
    15. UKCA STASHmaster PP-codes
    16. Removal of redundant code
  22. (new) LA to circulate details of rose-stem ticket
  23. (new) LA to send round Doodle poll for first 2 weeks of June.
  24. (new) AJH and MD to chase up issues with ukca_bugs mailing list.

Standing actions

  1. (ongoing - standing item) CMG to monitor list of bugs and circulate between group for owners.
  2. (ongoing - standing item) At CMG future meetings there should be included an appendix listing the open bugs. If a ticket is included it is not an open bug (as the owner of ticket is person doing lodging).
  3. (ongoing - standing item) ALL with access to keep monitoring ukca_bugs email list.
  4. (ongoing - standing item) ALL to think about if code changes will change KGO and let systems team know in good time, and remember to include the UKCA & SC0138 keywords to all UKCA tickets. This should be a standard part of our working practice. Note also the required keywords.
  5. (ongoing - standing item) ALL to note, review, and remove obsolete/redundant code
  6. (ongoing - standing item) ALL closed ticket owners to produce a summary of their change for the UKCA newsletter
  7. (ongoing - standing item) Code Owner to produce draft newsletter for CMG to approve.

Bugs/Bugfixes (LA)

Open Bugs

# Description Ticket Owner Comments Comments from this meeting
35 Error in labelling: Surface resistance <--> stomatal resistance ? UM:#1409 Fiona O'Connor Leave open. Garry Hayman started work in offline JULES.
Still ongoing. JM found bug in SO2 deposition, where there is an inconsistency when changing tiles. Making progress.
Leave open. GH gave update, has done a lot of work. Concerned it might not be bit-reproducable, but could be solvable. Encouraging to lodge existing. Resistances done as metadata. Not clear as to timescales.
FOC to encourage Garry Hayman to start lodging JULES code piecemeal.
101 Errors in reaction rates and diagnostics UM:#4466 Luke Abraham / Scott Archer-Nicolls There is a need to conserve science config for UKESM1, so changes need to be on a flag.
Colin has been looking at DMSO, as this is not currently used in StratTrop but is in Offline.
Might be able to merge the rate with CEJ changes, but best to leave the diagnostic issues as a separate change.
LA, JM, CEJ, SAN to discuss offline and keep GM in loop.
Use versioning system. Talk about further offline.
Keep ongoing.
103 Incorrect indexing of tmprc array: ASAD_SPIMPMJP UM:#4562 Scott Archer-Nicolls Breaks KGO - affects solver convergence. In practice doesn’t make a huge difference, but should go into vn11.4, but does change KGO. UKESM1 - small change might be OK - get in touch for advice - might be able to test with UKESM1 AMIP only. Check with Oliver Wild
Could be rolled-up with #101
104 Incorrect value for Rc for SO_2 deposition to open water UM:#4635 Catherine Hardacre Got to be separate to #35, unless there is an idea of timelines.
JM to find someone to progress bug #104.
107 Missing c_h2o conversion factor in offline_oxidants_be um:#4714 Code is zq(:)=RESHAPE(q(:,:,k),(/theta_field_size/)) rather than zq(:) = RESHAPE(q(:,:,k),(/theta_field_size/))/c_h2o
108 Incorrect stash processing of GLOMAP load*, conc* and plume_scav diagnostics UM:#4909 Mohit Dalvi To be Lodged after 10.6
109 Bug in dry deposition of CH4 for 13/17/27 tiles UM:#4913 Gerd Folberth To be Lodged after 10.6
Gerd noted unusual CH4 output in CMIP6 runs.
May need a rose stem test for H2 and CH4 drdydep code lodged at UM:#4157

Redundant Code (LA)

Code for deletion

PLEASE REMEMBER TO EDIT THE ORIGINAL REDUNDANT CODE TABLE AND NOT THIS PAGE

# Description Ticket Remarks Status Timeframe Owner Comments from previous meetings Comments from this meeting
2 Old dry deposition scheme UM:#2356 None PROPOSED Medium-term Nick Savage
4 ukca_strat_update.F90 - relax_ozone UM:#1505 None PROPOSED Medium-term Luke Abraham
5 Backward Euler Standard Tropospheric Chemistry UM:#1507 None PROPOSED Medium-term Fiona O'Connor
6 Wet oxidation of SO2 in GLOMAP UM:#4475 None PROPOSED Medium-term Colin Johnson JM to look at this re: UKESM1 c.f. offline GLOMAP. JM to take ownership.
7 Updraft velocity - l_conv_tke UM:#3668 Proposed in December 2017. Approval being sought for GA series (likely GA8). PROPOSED Medium-term Alan J Hewitt / Ian Boutle
8 All backward Euler chemistry schemes None Note that this is only for the “hard-coded” BE schemes. Quite a lot of work would be involved, but good as a longer-term aim. Note that problems for AQUM would need to be addressed first. PROPOSED Long-term Luke Abraham
9 Deprecated UKCA netcdf attribute options UM:#2513 'emission_type', string type attributes no longer recommeneded. Need some time for most new code to adopt these. Still used in AQUM files. DEPRECATED Medium-term Nick Savage AQUM are addressing the files. Have gone from operational jobs, have ticket to remove from rose-stem. LN to document. These have been removed from AQUM.
AQUM work has been done.
10 ASAD families chemistry None Families chemistry has not been used for many years (since at least UM6.1. It is likely that it no longer works if turned on, and it complicates the code making other developments harder DEPRECATED Short-term Luke Abraham
11 Dry deposition 9 PFT option None The 13 PFT option has been adopted for UKESM1.
The 9 PFT option is possibly not being used at all.
Proposed in June 2018.
PROPOSED Long-term Alan J Hewitt
12 Remove explicit C_SPECIES constants and calculate these from M_SPECIES and the mass of air None Will have wide-ranging rose-stem KGO breakages PROPOSED Short-term Luke Abraham
13 Remove temporary logical l_fix_nacl_density
Introduced at UM:#2405
UM:#3490 Requires AMIP testing and a GMED ticket
Could be accepted to GA9
PROPOSED Medium-term Jane Mulcahy See JM GMED action
15 Remove temporary logical l_fix_ukca_impscav
Introduced at UM:#1421
UM:#4145 Approval being sought for GA series (likely GA9)
GMED:#402
PROPOSED Medium-term Alan J Hewitt See JM GMED action
16 Remove temporary logical l_fix_improve_drydep
Introduced at UM:#1250
UM:#3997 Approval being sought for GA series (likely GA9)
GMED:#393
PROPOSED Medium-term Alan J Hewitt See JM GMED action
17 Remove temporary logical l_fix_ukca_h2dd_x
Introduced at UM:#4157
UM:#4245 Approval being sought for GA series (likely GA9)
GMED:#410
PROPOSED Medium-term Alan J Hewitt See JM GMED action
18 Remove temporary logical l_fix_neg_pvol_wat
Introduced at UM:#4383
UM:#4416 Approval being sought for GA series (likely GA9)
GMED:#421
PROPOSED Medium-term Alan J Hewitt
20 Remove MODULEs/SUBROUTINEs/FUNCTIONs
within UKCA not called within the UM:

MODULE asad_emissn_mod and SUBROUTINE asad_emissn
MODULE asad_inemit_mod and SUBROUTINE asad_inemit
UM:#4827 Requires removing additional redundant emission code from ukca_chem_master.F90 vn11.3_remove_asad_emissn_mod DEPRECATED Short-term Alan J Hewitt
21 Remove code behind L_use_stratclim from ukca_fastjx_mod
Introduced prior to MOSRS
UM:#4875 This could either be properly included via a namelist or removed from the UM PROPOSED Medium-term Alan J Hewitt
22 Remove temporary logical l_fix_ukca_input_meoh_emiss
Introduced at UM:#3031
UM:#4848 Approval being sought for GA series (likely GA9)
GMED:#461
PROPOSED Medium-term Mohit Dalvi

Rose-stem tests

Is our current rose-stem testing sufficient?

There are several code developments or configurations that do not have a rose-stem test:

  • UKCA API changes
  • Glomap_clim Jones and nwbins (AJH)
  • Senior/Junior configuration
  • Cache-blocking (could be included in ukca-exp)
  • options in surfddr with e.g 17 tiles
  • INFERNO emissions (planned to go into ukca-exp)
  • Oceanic O3 dry-deposition scheme
  • New Science Fixes (e.g. NVOC-MeOH fix, YSTORE fix etc.)
  • CCE rigorous (comp_check) for StratTrop + GLOMAP
  • More Linux jobs, e.g. StratTrop N48
  • Different GLOMAP configurations(?)

Currently covered under rose-stem

  • Most jobs are XC40 and use CCE, although there are some Linux jobs that use Intel.
  • Several configurations tested also include thread, proc, and/or NRUN-CRUN tests.
  • Several jobs also use high as well as safe, and a smaller number use comp_check (rigorous)

Configurations tested:

  1. GA7/GA-exp Offline-Oxidants (BE) + GLOMAP (inc. Linux, inc. rigorous)
  2. GA7/GA-exp Offline-Oxidants (NR) + GLOMAP
  3. AQUM (inc. Linux, inc. rigorous)
  4. AQUM + GLOMAP (inc. Linux, inc. rigorous)
  5. AQUM w/ Incremental Analysis Scheme (IAU)
  6. UKESM1
  7. N96 GA7 StratTrop + GLOMAP (lat-lon call and column call)
  8. N96 GA7 StratTrop + GLOMAP Nudged (no feedbacks)
  9. N96 GA7 StratTrop + AeroClim (no feedbacks)
  10. N48L38 GA7 StratTrop + GLOMAP (GNU only, inc. rigorous, also available on VM)
  11. N96 GA7 StratTrop + GLOMAP (UKCA-exp) using:
    • RO2 changes
    • solar cycle in photolysis
    • new top-boundary conditions
    • improved stratospheric heterogeneous chemistry
    • tropospheric heterogeneous chemistry
    • age of air reset by height
    • NAT-PSC limitation
    • Some UKCA-related science fixes
  12. N96 GA7 CRI-Strat + GLOMAP (in code review for vn11.4)
  13. GLOMAP-CLIM (inc. Linux, inc. rigorous)

SC0138 keyword

Previously this was necessary for all external UKCA changes (Cambridge, Leeds, Oxford), and was generally included on changes made by the Met Office as well. Recognition has moved to using the collab:site framework. Should SC0138 still be used, and if so, by whom?

Update on UKCA API redesign

JH has been working on redesigning the UM-UKCA interface to remove the model specific coupling. His proposed design document can be found here:

Priorities for the next year

Following the first meeting of the UKCA Science and Management Group on 2019-03-22 at the Met Office, this group has been asked to supply a list of priorities for the next year. The list below was agreed at the last meeting:

  1. UKCA API
  2. Review UKCA tests to cover all requirements
  3. Bug #87 (YSTORE/H2SO4)
  4. Updates/fixes to GLOMAP routines
  5. Standalone UKCA configurations
  6. Emissions flexibility
  7. Separare UKCA repository
  8. Chunking of chemistry solver
  9. ACTIVATE optimisation
  10. FastJX-GLOMAP coupling
  11. NaNs found with new schemes turned on (bug #106)
  12. CSIRO dry-deposition work
  13. Fixes for chemistry rates and ASAD (bugs #101 & #103)
  14. Rc fixes for water (bug #104)
  15. UKCA STASHmaster PP-codes
  16. Removal of redundant code

UM11.4 Tickets

See here for UM vn11.4 tickets on MOSRS

PLEASE REMEMBER TO USE THE UKCA KEYWORD FOR ALL UKCA CHANGES

UM vn11.5 is a CLOSED RELEASE for UKCA changes (except for API changes).

AOB/DNM (LA)

Date of next meeting (LA)