Difference between revisions of "Minutes of the code management group meeting 2017-07-14"

From UKCA
Jump to: navigation, search
(AJH - #2373 #1506)
(UKCA Tickets from PUMA UKCA trac pages (LA))
 
(One intermediate revision by the same user not shown)
Line 139: Line 139:
 
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/4 #4] || increase items per section to 999 || nick || || No - already done ||
 
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/4 #4] || increase items per section to 999 || nick || || No - already done ||
 
|-
 
|-
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/6 #6] || Merging of MODE developments || || Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1)|| ||
+
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/6 #6] || Merging of MODE developments || || Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1)|| Done as separate tickets: #1497 for Dust, #4972 for Stratospheric aerosol, #4971 for everything else ||
 
|-
 
|-
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/7 #7] || Developments to FastJX code || || Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1)|| ||
+
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/7 #7] || Developments to FastJX code || || Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1)|| See #4973 ||
 
|-
 
|-
 
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/8 #8] || Stratospheric Chemistry Scheme || luke || Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1)|| No - scheme exists in the trunk but is not currently supported.<br/> Implementation of StratCFC scheme in [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/3243 #3243] (Hopefully): lukeabraham||
 
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/8 #8] || Stratospheric Chemistry Scheme || luke || Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1)|| No - scheme exists in the trunk but is not currently supported.<br/> Implementation of StratCFC scheme in [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/3243 #3243] (Hopefully): lukeabraham||
Line 149: Line 149:
 
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/10 #10] || Chemistry of the Stratosphere and Troposphere (CheST) || ata27 || Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1)|| No - already done and is current supported scheme ||
 
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/10 #10] || Chemistry of the Stratosphere and Troposphere (CheST) || ata27 || Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1)|| No - already done and is current supported scheme ||
 
|-
 
|-
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/11 #11] || Tropospheric Aerosol Chemistry || colin || Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1)|| ||
+
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/11 #11] || Tropospheric Aerosol Chemistry || colin || Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1)|| See #4974 ||
 
|-
 
|-
 
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/12 #12] || Stratospheric Aerosol Chemistry || || Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1)||[https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/1572 #1572](Hopefully). There has been some interest from NIWA to continue this work. ||
 
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/12 #12] || Stratospheric Aerosol Chemistry || || Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1)||[https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/1572 #1572](Hopefully). There has been some interest from NIWA to continue this work. ||
Line 159: Line 159:
 
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/15 #15] || Dry Deposition || || Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1)|| No, or as reminder of long-term plans ||
 
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/15 #15] || Dry Deposition || || Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1)|| No, or as reminder of long-term plans ||
 
|-
 
|-
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/16 #16] || Wet Deposition || || merged branch testing (level 3)|| ||
+
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/16 #16] || Wet Deposition || || merged branch testing (level 3)|| Plume scavenging of chemical tracers considered in #476 ||
 
|-
 
|-
 
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/17 #17] || Organic aerosols || || Complete vn7.3 merge (level 2)|| Yes for secondary organics ||
 
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/17 #17] || Organic aerosols || || Complete vn7.3 merge (level 2)|| Yes for secondary organics ||
Line 165: Line 165:
 
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/18 #18] || Modal Dust || || merged branch testing (level 3)||No-duplicate of ''#49'' below ||
 
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/18 #18] || Modal Dust || || merged branch testing (level 3)||No-duplicate of ''#49'' below ||
 
|-
 
|-
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/19 #19] || Tropospheric heterogeneous chemistry. || colin || Complete vn7.3 merge (level 2)|| ||
+
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/19 #19] || Tropospheric heterogeneous chemistry. || colin || Complete vn7.3 merge (level 2)|| See #2521 ||
 
|-
 
|-
 
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/20 #20] || Aerosols and Radiation || || merged branch at latest release||No. Code in trunk sufficient/regularly updated ||
 
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/20 #20] || Aerosols and Radiation || || merged branch at latest release||No. Code in trunk sufficient/regularly updated ||
Line 173: Line 173:
 
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/22 #22] || Flight track diagnostics || || Somewhen|| [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/1608 #1608] (Hopefully): Marcus Koehler ||
 
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/22 #22] || Flight track diagnostics || || Somewhen|| [https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/um/ticket/1608 #1608] (Hopefully): Marcus Koehler ||
 
|-
 
|-
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/23 #23] || Satellite Diagnostics || || merged branch testing (level 3)|| ||
+
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/23 #23] || Satellite Diagnostics || || merged branch testing (level 3)|| See #4975 ||
 
|-
 
|-
 
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/24 #24] || Code redundency || || merged branch testing (level 3)|| No. Independent tickets under [[Redundant code]] ||
 
|[https://puma.nerc.ac.uk/trac/UKCA/ticket/24 #24] || Code redundency || || merged branch testing (level 3)|| No. Independent tickets under [[Redundant code]] ||

Latest revision as of 21:25, 12 June 2019

Code management group minutes

Teleconference Details

Friday 14th July 2017, 10am - 12noon BST

Present

Met Office: Mohit Dalvi (MD), Fiona O'Connor (FOC), John Hemmings (JH), Alan Hewitt (AH), Marc Stringer (MS), Jane Mulcahy (JM)

Cambridge: Luke Abraham (LA)

Leeds: Mark Richardson (MR)

Reading:

Lancaster:

Edinburgh:

UEA: Marcus Koehler (MK)

NIWA: Fraser Dennison (FD), Olaf Morgenstern (OM)

CSIRO:

Apologies: Nick Savage, Nicolas Bellouin, Alex Archibald, Michael Hollaway, Oliver Wild, Ashok Luhar, Matt Woodhouse, Colin Johnson, Maff Glover

Actions from this meeting

One off actions

  1. (ongoing) GM to check 8.4 versus 7.3 (and possibly vn8.4 vs 10.x) GLOMAP-mode code and report any missing bug fixes on the bugfix page.
  2. (ongoing) FOC to incorporate Bug #35 and others into dry deposition work. FOC to draft document that will cover what the new deposition scheme will do
  3. (ongoing) LA to migrate PUMA UM tickets to MOSRS - see table below
  4. (new) ALL to check through this table and comment on whether the tickets needs to be ported or not. Deadline 2017-07-28
  5. (new) LA to open tickets for all changes that still require a ticket
  6. (ongoing) JM,BJ,NB to discuss incorporation of Nicolas' RADAER description into UKCA (or separate UMDP). JM to take lead.
  7. (ongoing) FOC to open ticket + Bugfixes Table entry related to 'Unable to calculate tropopause' warnings
  8. (ongoing) FOC to recommend at next Exec meeting a policy of allowing only CMG to (certify and) distribute any UKCA configurations for science purpose.
  9. (new) LA (& others who are interested) to look into how to re-organise the UKCA panel (e.g. into sub-panels)
  10. (new) LA to organise a follow-up meeting of interested parties on the UKCA panel re-organisation
  11. (new) MD to collate all UKCA parameters into ukca_constants in advance of removing duplicates already available in the UM
  12. (new) LA to add comments on rafeps into #368
  13. (new) FOC to close #2358 (Delete 2D photolysis scheme in UKCA)
  14. (new) MD to take ownership of #142 (Remove old emissions system from UKCA)
  15. (new) FOC to take ownership of #2356 (Delete older dry deposition scheme in UKCA)
  16. (new) FOC to take ownership of #1507 (Remove Backward Euler Standard Tropospheric Chemistry)
  17. (new) AH to take ownership of #2373 (quick method for calculating wet volume redundant)
  18. (new) LA to take ownership of #1505 (Clean up ukca_strat_update)
  19. (new) JM to clarify with CJ regarding "Wet oxidation of SO2 in GLOMAP"
  20. (new) ALL to note code which is redundant
  21. (new) AH to scope out reducing repetition of mode definitions in GLOMAP
  22. (new) OM to work on the chemistry scheme code restructuring for vn10.8
  23. (new) LA to update Bugs table following discussion, closing tickets where appropriate
  24. (new) FOC to send LA RAQ testing jobs information
  25. (new) MD to set up TS2000 free-running nudged jobs at vn10.8
  26. (new) LA to add UKCA wiki page on using UKCA on the Virtual Machine
  27. (new) LA to create a doodle poll for October after the date of the vn10.9 code freeze

Standing actions

  1. (ongoing - standing item) CMG to monitor list of bugs and circulate between group for owners.
  2. (ongoing - standing item) At CMG future meetings there should be included an appendix listing the open bugs. If a ticket is included it is not an open bug (as the owner of ticket is person doing lodging).
  3. (ongoing - standing item) ALL with access to keep monitoring ukca_bugs email list.
  4. (ongoing - standing item) ALL to think about if code changes will change KGO and let systems team know in good time. This should be a standard part of our working practice.
  5. (ongoing - standing item) ALL to review and remove obsolete code

Minutes

Actions from the Last Meeting (LA)

Minutes of the code management group meeting 2016-09-23

  1. (ongoing) GM to check 8.4 versus 7.3 (and possibly vn8.4 vs 10.x) GLOMAP-mode code and report any missing bug fixes on the bugfix page.
    ongoing
  2. (ongoing) FOC to incorporate Bug #35 and others into dry deposition work
    ongoing - FOC to draft document to cover what new dry deposition scheme to do
  3. (ongoing) LA to migrate PUMA UM tickets to MOSRS
    See below - nearly done
  4. (ongoing) UM #368 (RAFEPS value). Error not encountered at UM10.x but LA to consult Oliver Wild regarding background and implications.
    See below - closed
  5. (ongoing) LA to check doc for NVOC factor and open ticket to remove it from code
    closed - see #3031 done by Alistair Sellar
  6. (ongoing) CJ to lodge STASHmaster changes to diagnostics that should make use of UKCA time availability codes
    done - closed
  7. (ongoing) CJ,FOC,AH,AS,LA and John H to decide best way forward for implementing GLOMAP-climatology code and documentation.
    closed - some code lodged
  8. (ongoing) JM,BJ,NB to discuss incorporation of Nicolas' RADAER description into UKCA (or separate UMDP). JM to take lead.
    UMDP084 has been updated
    ongoing as climatology work uses RADAER
  9. (ongoing) FOC to open ticket + Bugfixes Table entry related to 'Unable to calculate tropopause' warnings
    ongoing
  10. (updated) MD to setup Strat+Trop suite as soon as GA7.1 is frozen and also add to Rose-stem. MD set-up/replace current Rose stem job with GA7.1 jobs.
    closed - done
  11. (ongoing) CJ to involve NS in discussions with Dynamics and UM-sys teams regarding movement of UKCA call, for effective implementation of water vapour feedback.
    closed - done
  12. (ongoing) FOC to recommend at next Exec meeting a policy of allowing only CMG to (certify and) distribute any UKCA configurations for science purpose.
    ongoing
  13. (new) MD to chase CMS about MASS archiving
    closed - done
  14. (new) NS to collate all code that could be removed and put on Wiki
    closed - see below
  15. (new) LA to do doodle poll for end of Nov/ start of Dec
    closed - not done

Standing actions

  1. (ongoing - standing item) CMG to monitor list of bugs and circulate between group for owners.
  2. (ongoing - standing item) At CMG future meetings there should be included an appendix listing the open bugs. If a ticket is included it is not an open bug (as the owner of ticket is person doing lodging).
  3. (ongoing - standing item) JM to continue to link/send powerpoint results (re: GA7.0/GA7.1), as new configurations released and link/put files on UKCA wiki.
closed - GA7.1 is now frozen.
  1. (ongoing - standing item) ALL with access to keep monitoring ukca_bugs email list.
  2. (ongoing - standing item) ALL to think about if code changes will change KGO and let systems team know in good time. This should be a standard part of our working practice.
  3. (ongoing - standing item) ALL to review and remove obsolete code
Rose GUI UKCA section is long and unwieldy - make sub-panels. Consider ordering in review?
LA+others to tidy and look into things.
LA to organise a follow-up meeting
Some things done with constants already, but not enough - MD to collate all parameters into ukca_constants

UKCA Tickets from PUMA UKCA trac pages (LA)

Ticket Description Owner Milestone MOSRS ticket required? Comments from this meeting
#4 increase items per section to 999 nick No - already done
#6 Merging of MODE developments Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1) Done as separate tickets: #1497 for Dust, #4972 for Stratospheric aerosol, #4971 for everything else
#7 Developments to FastJX code Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1) See #4973
#8 Stratospheric Chemistry Scheme luke Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1) No - scheme exists in the trunk but is not currently supported.
Implementation of StratCFC scheme in #3243 (Hopefully): lukeabraham
#9 Tropospheric Chemistry with Isoprene Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1) No - scheme exists in the trunk but is not supported. There have been
some stability issues reported with this scheme, e.g. to do with rafeps
#10 Chemistry of the Stratosphere and Troposphere (CheST) ata27 Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1) No - already done and is current supported scheme
#11 Tropospheric Aerosol Chemistry colin Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1) See #4974
#12 Stratospheric Aerosol Chemistry Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1) #1572(Hopefully). There has been some interest from NIWA to continue this work.
#13 Interface between UKCA and the UM Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1) No - code in trunk sufficient and evolving
#14 Trace Gases and Radiation Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1) No - code in trunk sufficient(?)
#15 Dry Deposition Initial merge at 7.3 (level 1) No, or as reminder of long-term plans
#16 Wet Deposition merged branch testing (level 3) Plume scavenging of chemical tracers considered in #476
#17 Organic aerosols Complete vn7.3 merge (level 2) Yes for secondary organics
#18 Modal Dust merged branch testing (level 3) No-duplicate of #49 below
#19 Tropospheric heterogeneous chemistry. colin Complete vn7.3 merge (level 2) See #2521
#20 Aerosols and Radiation merged branch at latest release No. Code in trunk sufficient/regularly updated
#21 Indirect effects of aerosol Complete vn7.3 merge (level 2) No. code in trunk sufficient/regularly updated
#22 Flight track diagnostics Somewhen #1608 (Hopefully): Marcus Koehler
#23 Satellite Diagnostics merged branch testing (level 3) See #4975
#24 Code redundency merged branch testing (level 3) No. Independent tickets under Redundant code
#25 UKCA aerosols for FastJX merged branch testing (level 3) #2689 (UM10.9): Michael Hollaway
#36 Pipework to deliver bVOC emissions from JULES to UKCA MetUM vn9.1 No. Lodged
#37 Hard-wiring of land surface tile numbers in UKCA Somewhen No. AJH has opened UM ticket #1506
#38 Albedo for FastJ(X) Somewhen #442 (Hopefully)
#41 Improvements to Emissions handling MetUM vn8.6 No - already done (netCDF)
#42 Slow down of AQUM when 8.2 code lodged Somewhen No. Code/configuration has moved on and performance monitored regularly
#45 Offline oxidants for MODE MetUM vn9.1 No - already done and is default scheme in GA7/GA7.1
#46 Improve convective washout of aerosols MetUM vn8.6 No. lodged for aerosols. #476 opened for gases
#47 RADAER Part 2 MetUM vn8.6 No - already done(?). RADAERv2 is already on the trunk.
#48 Add nitrate aersols to UKCA-GLOMAP-mode Somewhen #827(Hopefully):Steve Rumbold
#49 Modal Dust in UKCA-GLOMAP-mode Somewhen #1497(Hopefully): Stephanie Woodward
#50 FASTJX fix to work with new spectral files Somewhen No. Done under Met Office #5404
#54 Clean up UKCA interface - part 2 MetUM vn8.6 No. Refers to CLASSIC, which will be handled under #1502
after GLOMAP dust becomes the principal scheme
#60 Logicals/ Condition block mismatch for UKCA StratTrop and Het/PSC nick MetUM vn8.6 No. Lodged under MO #5465
#62 Changes to make UKCA compatible with UM high resolution/LAM configurations MetUM vn8.6 No. Not an immediate requirement.
Will be handled under #1617
#63 RCP scenario code MetUM vn8.6 No - already done
#64 Fix array indexing/ dimensioning issues in UKCA MetUM vn8.6 No. Lodged
ALL to do a quick check (2 weeks deadline)
LA to finish off by looking through code and opening tickets for all things that have not been done.

rafeps

rafeps is set in UKCA like this:

sfmin = TINY(1.0)                              [~2e-308]     asad_cinit.F90
sfmin = 10.0**(INT(LOG10(sfmin))+1)            [=1e-306]     asad_cinit.F90
peps  = 1.0e19 * sfmin                         [=1e-287]     asad_cinit.F90
rafeps=SQRT(peps)                              [~3e-144]     asad_spimpmjp.F90

This is rather convoluted! Previously it was found increasing rafeps by ~1.0e50 seemed to improve stability in the TropIsop configuration. There is a ticket open for this (#368 - see also the open bugs below).

Comment from Oliver Wild:

The intention is that peps is the underflow limit, and that rafeps is a
minimum of one order of magnitude more than this, just to avoid problems.
However, this is a bit slack, as the value of f may be multiplied by numbers
quite a bit less than one later in the code. So it's better to crank it up
a bit - the sqrt halves the exponent, so should be sufficient. I hardwire
peps to 1.d-200 in my code (substantially more than the underflow limit),
and rafeps is just peps*10.d0. Your value of 3.e-144 is fine.

My feeling is that as long as rafeps is "small", i.e., considerably below
any expected mixing ratios in the atmosphere, then all should be fine. By 
setting zeros to rafeps, you may be adding material to the atmosphere, so
you don't want to let rafeps get too large - but the principal issue is
avoiding underflows, or overflows when dividing. I don't think 1.e-100 would
be any problem. Even at the 1.e-50 level you may still be OK, although this
scale starts to makes me uncomfortable as errors can build up quickly if left 
unchecked.

I would suggest that altering the value of rafeps in itself is fine, although I (LA) would personally not want it to go smaller than 1.0e-100.

LA to add to #368

Redundant Code (LA for NS)

NS has created the following page for review: Redundant code

It was thought that it would still be useful to be able to run the 2D photolysis as it means that we could run without using FastJX. FOC to close ticket.

OK to remove:

  • ancil emissions - MD
  • 2D dry deposition - FOC (although possibly combine with work of OM below)
  • StdTrop - FOC
  • volume_mode - AH
  • relax_ozone - LA

JM to check with CJ about the Wet oxidation of SO2 in GLOMAP

ALL to note code where there is redundancy

AH to scope out reducing repetition of mode definitions in GLOMAP

It was also discussed that things like Families chemistry & Impact solver could be removed as well.

The deprecated UKCA netcdf attribute options should be left in currently.

Code Restructuring (OM)

OM has been considering how best to restructure the chemistry. This proposal will remove all the existing ukca_chem_scheme.F90 routines, and replace them with a single ukca_chem_master.F90 routine that contains all the species, reactions, & deposition from all the current schemes, as well as a routine to construct the correct arrays for each scheme in an intelligent way.

Define the chemistry types
These are used to set a new last entry of the derived types used to define the chemistry scheme arrays, called scheme
! Define chemistry types
INTEGER, PARAMETER, PUBLIC :: ST = 1   ! stratosphere-troposphere scheme
INTEGER, PARAMETER, PUBLIC :: T = 2    ! troposphere scheme
INTEGER, PARAMETER, PUBLIC :: S = 4    ! stratosphere scheme
INTEGER, PARAMETER, PUBLIC :: R = 8    ! RAQ scheme
INTEGER, PARAMETER, PUBLIC :: STA = 16 ! strat-trop-aerosol scheme
INTEGER, PARAMETER, PUBLIC :: OL = 32  ! offline scheme
Define the list of species for chemistry, e.g.
!   3 DD: 1,
chch_t(  3,'O3        ',  1,'TR        ','Ox        ',  1,  0,  0, S+T+ST),  &
!   4  Wet deposition of ozone was introduced for STA 
chch_t(  3,'O3        ',  1,'TR        ','Ox        ',  1,  1,  0, STA),  &
!   4
chch_t(  3,'O3        ',  1,'CF        ','Ox        ',  0,  1,  0, OL),  &
Define the heterogeneous chemistry, e.g.
rath_t('ClONO2    ','H2O       ','HOCl      ','HONO2     ','          ', &
'          ', 0.000, 0.000, 0.000, 0.000, S+ST+STA), &
!HSO3+H2O2(aq)
rath_t('SO2       ','H2O2      ','NULL0     ','          ','          ', &
'          ', 0.000, 0.000, 0.000, 0.000, STA+OL),                          &
Define photolysis, e.g.
! 56
ratj_t('HO2NO2    ','PHOTON    ','OH        ','NO3       ','          ', &
     '          ',    0.0,   0.0,   0.0,   0.0, 100.000,'jpna33    ',T+S+ST+STA), &
Define termolecular reactions, e.g.
ratt_t('SO2       ','OH        ','SO3       ','HO2       ',     0.6,    &
  3.00e-31, -3.30,     0.00,  1.50e-12,  0.00,     0.00, 0.000, 0.000, STA), &
ratt_t('SO2       ','OH        ','H2SO4     ','          ',     0.6,    &
  3.00e-31, -3.30,     0.00,  1.50e-12,  0.00,     0.00, 0.000, 0.000, OL)         &
Define 2D dry-deposition. e.g.
depvel('H2O2      ', &
(/1.00,  1.00,  1.00,  1.00,  1.00,  1.00,  & !      8.1
  1.25,  0.16,  0.71,  0.28,  0.12,  0.20,  & !      8.2
  1.25,  0.53,  0.89,  0.83,  0.78,  0.81,  & !      8.3
  0.26,  0.26,  0.26,  0.26,  0.26,  0.26,  & !      8.4
  0.32,  0.32,  0.32,  0.32,  0.32,  0.32/),  & !      8.5
  T+S+ST+STA+OL), &
Define wet-deposition. e.g.
!    1  
wetdep('NO3       ',(/0.2000e+01, 0.2000e+04, 0.0000e+00, 0.0000e+00, 0.0000e+00, 0.0000e+00/),S+T+ST+STA),&
Define bimolecular reactions, e.g.
! B051 JPL2011 see also asad_bimol
ratb_t('HO2       ','HO2       ','H2O2      ','          ','          ',&
'          ',  3.00e-13,  0.00,   -460.00, 0.000, 0.000, 0.000, 0.000,S+ST+STA), &
ratb_t('HO2       ','HO2       ','H2O2      ','          ','          ',&
'          ',  2.20e-13,  0.00,   -600.00, 0.000, 0.000, 0.000, 0.000,T+OL), &
Determine whether or not species/reaction/deposition should be included in the selected scheme, e.g.
DO i=1,n_ratb_master
  IF ((ratb_def_master(i).scheme MOD (2*chem_scheme))/chem_scheme .EQ. 1) THEN
    jpbk = jpbk + 1
  ENDIF
ENDDO

There was a question regarding whether or not it would also be possible to have multiple versions of rates defined, to easily allow for running with the old rates, for example, and this would be possible with this method. It should also not break rose-stem for GA7.1+StratTrop so long as the order of reactions is not changed.

Oliver Wild had commented to FOC that he wondered how well this method would cope with species that are representative of a whole class of species in some schemes, but explicitly considered in others. This shouldn't be a problem however as the schemes, while contained in the same master array, are independent.

It was suggested that trying RAQ through the symbolic ASAD BE solver would be a good test to compare with the current RAQ BE formulation. It may also be worth removing the 2D dry deposition at the same time as implementing this.

OM to do at vn10.8

Bugs/Bugfixes (LA)

Open Bugs

# Description Ticket Owner Status/ Updates Comments from previous meeting Comments from this meeting
31 FP exceptions in asad_sparse_vars
or asad_spimjmp
#368 (MOSRS) Nick Savage leave open. vn10.x seems to be better leave open
35 Error in labelling: Surface resistance <--> stomatal resistance ? MOSRS #1409 Fiona O'Connor open - folded into DD. FOC to update leave open & see above
50 ukca_solve_coagnucl failures #319 (MOSRS) Mohit Dalvi/Graham Mann? Not encountered any more ? dissapeared at vn10.x close as not seen, but can re-open
57 Incorrect logic for DMS anciliaries required #756 (MOSRS) Nick Savage trivial. Might close as wontfix, but might want to do in RAQ leave open
68 HO2 heterogeneous loss rate 1st order(?) No ticket Nick Savage NS to look at that. Leave open to review close - JH is satisfied that it is not a bug
72 UKCA Dry Deposition: Surface resistance values
not set for some species
#1250 Alan Hewitt? discussed above, have way forward leave open but there is a way forward
74 Bug in ukca_tropopause with definition of PV tropopause #1283 Steven Hardiman Change ownership? discussed above, wrap together issues. Fix is separate from #75 leave open FOC did try to lodge, but breaks KGO. Simple fix but with big changes.
75 Bug in STE fluxes #1367 Fiona O'Connor could be endgame. Needs further work leave open even with fix, these are still wrong
80 H2O feedback broken under ENDGAME UM#1646 Colin Johnson discussed above, keep open closed
87 Possible issues with YSTORE in UKCA_CHEMISTRY_CTL. UM#3245 Colin Johnson/
Luke Abraham
leave open
88 Potential FastJX Scattering Bug UM#3261 David Wade/
Luke Abraham
leave open
FOC to send LA RAQ jobs information

Standard Release jobs: What is required now to move UKCA recommended jobs up to GA7.1? (LA/CJ)

Strategy for next UKCA Release Job (LA)

There would technically be some differences between a GA7.1+StratTrop job and a UKESM1-AMIP job, mainly in the settings for iBVOCs and the primary marine organics. The community generally wants to have a job as close as possible to UKESM1.

A release strategy was considered where:

  1. UKCA configurations are available across versions with the same science settings (e.g. similar to GA7.1)
  2. Regression branches would be provided to allow for bit-comparison between UM versions to allow people to run the same science but at later versions - this would aid people in developing changes for the trunk
  3. TS2000 free-running and nudged configurations will be provided and assessed at each UM version, without branches where possible. These will form the basis of the release and evaluation suite output will be provided from each run to allow for comparison to the previous UM version
  4. Release jobs will not be updated once they have been released, instead users will be directed to the next model version for bugfixes etc.

A vn10.8 release is wanted for September for the new student intake.

MD to set-up jobs at vn10.8.

It was noted that UKESM1 jobs would be supported elsewhere.

Highlights from vn10.8 (LA)

vn10.8 UKCA tickets
UMPB May 2017 Highlight Report

  • CJ: Water vapour feedback - This includes flux calculations of water production and loss available in stash, as well as a diagnostic which gives the change to q calculated at each timestep. (#1646 & #3123)
  • LA: Quasi-Newton steps in Newton-Raphson solver - speeds up the model by ~2-3%. Will not bit-compare with runs without it however. (#2819)
  • MR: OpenMP in UKCA_AERO_CTL - alternative method for passing array slices to sub processes, e.g. a(:,:,:,mode) had to be re-written a(1,1,1,mode) for the combination of Linux system SPICE and Intel ifort 12. (#1286 )
  • MR: OpenMP in UKCA_AERO_CTL - a bespoke workshare had to be written due to ONE failure in rose stem. The formal method that used the default blocking of data failed. Again Linux and Intel 12. (#1286 )
  • LA: 3 new UKCA rose-stem tests were added to the MetO XC40. This tests mirror the ones available on the VM, but run incredibly quickly. One has been added to the xc40_developer group - meto_xc40_n48_ukca_eg_omp_noios_gnu. (#2714)
    • Note: On the XC40 the _omp and _noomp jobs do not bit-compare, whereas they do on the VM. The version of the GNU compiler is different between these two sites - the XC40 uses GNU Fortran (GCC) 4.9.1 20140716 (Cray Inc.), whereas the VM uses GNU Fortran (Ubuntu 5.2.1-22ubuntu2) 5.2.1 20151010. The domain decomposition is different as well (4x4 on the XC40 vs. 1x{{MPI_TASKS}} on the VM). #3127 has been opened to investigate this.
  • AJH: Radaer can be run from GLOMAP-mode climatology files (#288 )

Targets for vn10.9 (and beyond) (LA)

Tickets currently targeted for UM10.9 in Trac

Ticket Summary Owner Comments from this meeting
#100 PM10 and PM2.5 diagnostics for MODE johnhemmings
#1250 UKCA dry deposition: surface resistance values not set for some species alanjhewitt
#1703 Update appropriate UMDPs with regard UKCA-mode aerosol and interactions janemulcahy
#2086 Time updating for glomap climatology alanjhewitt
#2301 Improve the handling of emissions from explosive volcanoes in UKCA/GLOMAP --
#2373 Removed redundant code for calculating wet volume alanjhewitt
#2382 rose stem app for Section 54 alanjhewitt
#2405 Test and implement sea-salt density change colinjohnson
#2532 Review of option codes associated with UKCA burden diagnostics when running with BE solver fionaoconnor
#2587 Adding solar variability to photolysis scheme fraserdennison
#2689 Enable coupling of GLOMAP-MODE Aerosol to FAST-JX photolysis. michaelhollaway
#2741 Addition of new diagnostic for the dry deposition flux of nitrogen fionaoconnor
#2742 Addition of new diagnostic for the wet deposition flux of nitrogen fionaoconnor
#2814 Allow UKCA Chemistry to work with aerosol climatologies lukeabraham
#2898 Input CO2 concentrations into UKCA when interactive CO2 is operational colinjohnson
#3025 Add functionality to use NetCDF GLOMAP-mode climatology fields to generate fields required by ACTIVATE alanjhewitt
#3028 Improve STASH section references related to UKCA components. mohitdalvi
#3109 PE decomp reproducibility for UKCA, with higher optimisation flags matthewglover
#3127 Investigate KGO differences in um_n48_ukca_eg app using GNU on the Cray lukeabraham
#3209 column-call UKCA Newton-Raphson solver lukeabraham
#3267 Fix UKCA NRUNvsCRUN test
(CRUN running full 2-days)
mohitdalvi
  • Michael Hollaway: I currently have a test version of the code working that uses RADAER to pass the aerosol optical properties to FAST-JX. This runs at UM-UKCA 10.6.1. I am currently working on testing the code with different MODE setups and then will work on going through the required steps to get the code into the trunk at 10.9 (sci/tech review, code review, etc). All being well the updates should hopefully be ready for 10.9 (fingers crossed).

Tickets currently targeted as Hopefully

Highlights/Targets from CSIRO

  1. Matt W. has incorporated a primary marine organic aerosol emission parameterisation into GLOMAP (included in the trunk from UMvn10.6).
  2. We are close to finishing further work on parameterisation of ozone dry deposition to the ocean (work so far reported in the ACP paper, 17, 3749-3767, 2017). I have communicated with Gerd Folberth (MO) as to the process to put the new parameterisation into the trunk once our studies are finished.
  3. A CSIRO project with Melbourne University has started which aims to have an ACCESS coupled model with UKCA CheST configuration at UM10.6 and GA7.1 (main ACCESS components are UM atmos + MOM ocean + sea ice + CABLE land surface + UKCA).
  4. ACCESS-CM2 coupled model is being tested for aerosols (including dust, at GA7.1).

Virtual Machine (LA)

UM Virtual Machine Guide - Note: this will be superseded by UMPB X10 from vn10.8 onwards.

LA - to write up UKCA specific VM instructions on the UKCA wiki.

Training (LA)

UKCA Training January 2018

AOB/DNM (LA)

Date of next meeting (LA)

LA to create a doodle poll for October after the date of the vn10.9 code freeze

Poll for 6th-27th October 2017